1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Need advice for setting up a plow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westernmdlawn, Nov 9, 2003.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Hi everyone: I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a used Fisher snow plow the other day. It is an 8' blade with a trip edge that has 4 springs. There are 6 reinforcement bars behingd the blade. It was on an 86 Dodge Ram 250. The plow is older, it has the hydraulic pump mounted on the engine, driven by a belt. The controls are cable operated for the lift and power angle. So, it is not the newer electric over hydraulic system that is used nowadays. Heres the problem, I have an 89 Ford F250 that I want to put this plow on. I have to move both the pump over as well as the plow setup. My plan was to purchase new undercarriage brackets from Fisher for my truck, and just bolt it on. AFTER I purchased the plow I discovered that the bracket is no longer available from Fisher for my truck. So now my options are to either modify the Dodge brackets to fit my Ford, scout around to find someone that might actually have the brackets for sale that I need (hopeless IMO). One other thing that someone suggested is that I buy an undercarriage bracket from another manufacturer (or Fisher for a newer model plow system), than modify that bracket to fit my plow blade. Then, in place of the hydraulic lift unit, just put a lift cylinder in. How feasible is this idea? What do you guys think? I'm on a very tight budget right now and this seems to be the cheapest route. The idea is that maybe the "Meyer" or "Western" brackets will be easier to make work with my Fisher blade than it would be to modify the Dodge (Fisher) brackets to fit my Ford. Surely there is a way for me to make this work right???

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Keep checking with other Fisher dealers,bigger dealers will have used mounts as well as a few new ones for the older trucks still laying around.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up with using other brand mounts as they are much different than the Fisher.

3. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Westernmdlawn
    Sent you a PM with a phone number for a used Fisher parts dealer.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

look on ebay

thats where i bought my meyer mount

cardoctor

5. Arc Burn

Just checked there for him,they have a couple sets but not for that truck.If you can come up with new ones they will set you back about about $440,not sure what your lookin to spend here,i can probably muster up a new set if your still interested,i'd check on used ones first though.

6. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciated it. BWinkel, thanks for the # for Brown's. I'll call them right now. I'll let you know how I make out.
    Thanks again!

7. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

BWinkel : Brown's has the stuff I need (used for $350), but they don't ship stuff out since its too heavy. Shucks! Maine is a bit too far for me to travel at this point, but I can keep it in mind as a last resort. I'll check out ebay and keep calling dealers near me.

8. Arc Burn

I have mounts shipped occasionaly and they are always right around $50,not sure why they won't ship?

9. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

It's only around 24 hrs. round trip. I'm surprised they don't ship either. Too bad they couldn't send it by common carrier.

10. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

I suppose I'm going to get to learn to be real handy with a torch and a welder fast. I need to do that anyway if I plan to be in this business! I have tried calling several other local distributors and they all say that Fisher no longer makes the part and my best shot is to find New Old Stock somewhere. Nothing on ebay right now either. Well, I'll let yas know how I make out with the project as it begins here this week.
    I'll try to post some pics of stuff if I get a chance.

11. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

westernmdlawn,
    We do not sell those plates as a whole kit but we do offer them as service parts. You would have to buy each piece separately.
    PM me for part numbers

12. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

I have a 88 F250 351 Windsor that I'm parting out & probably have all the stuff you need. Of couse I'm way up in Connecticut.

13. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

OOPS, Just realised that I posted to a old thread.

14. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Roger,

What's good on the truck that you're parting out?

Allagash

15. awe am49456

awe am49456 Junior Member

hello everyone, I also am in a bind i recently purchased a path finder snow plow with a monarch pumb model 693. Im trying to find out how to wire it? i have a black and a brown wire on the wireing harness that goes to the control box and i dont have a clue what to do with them. I believe the black wire went to some wiring in the truck wired to a toggle switch, also think the brown wire went to the solonid under the hood . If anyone can please help i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all .

16. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I have that wiring diagram still, the black wire is the power wire for the switch box, it hooks up to the large terminal on the solonoid on the pump motor-put it on the "hot" side that hooks to the battery. You can run this through a toggle if you want to be able to shut the plow "off" while not using the plow. Attatche the brown wire to the start terminal on the same solonoid-it is the smallest one, this is what closes the solonoid and turns the pump on when you push a button. If you have any other questions let me know.

17. awe am49456

awe am49456 Junior Member

i only have one screw on the solenoid besides for the large ones is it okay if i find power inside the truck and if so, is it 12 v power or any size fuse required.Thank you for your help

18. bossman34

bossman34 Member

The brown wire is the one that will go to the small terminal on the solenoid. You can get 12V power from anywhere for the black wire, you dont have to go off of the hot side of the solenoid. It must be a constant, nonswitched power source. There is very little amp draw to the switches I would go with a 15 amp fuse just to be sure though.

you could put a toggle on either wire, after some thought on my part it should be on the constant power wire, otherwise if you put it on the brown wire you could still energize a solenoid and drop the plow. Good thing I thought that one through. Hope this helps