1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! National Contract and No Clue...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MJack, Sep 4, 2014.

1. MJack

MJack Junior Member

Hey all, I found this site by chance. I work for one of those annoying national companies that sub out to contractors (although we are not anyone huge and we pay our billls). I had this national bid thrown on my desk last minute and it covers territories like IN, NY, OH, CO, IL, KY, NJ, MD, MI, OH, WI, WV and 463 locations. Here is my issue, this bid was thrown at me last minute. Anytime I call to get pricing, they did not release the square footage of the lots on the excel spread sheet for these locations, this bid is due on Monday so there is no way for companies to site inspect all different areas and locations so I haven't been able to get any pricing. But I desperately need help pricing out the following...Cost/Push 2" to 4" of snow Cost/Push 5" to 6" of snow Cost/Push 7" and over of snow Cost/Hour: Snow Removal From Site (by front-end loader and dump truck) "On-Call" parking Lot Salting (By Sq. Ft.) "On-Call" Sidewalk Clearing & Salting (By Sq. Ft.). Is there anyone who has any ideas on how to help? Do I have to know the square footage? I am out of my element here and we are even willing to work with companies that self perform...this is just a nightmare...Thank you in advance.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to continue to pay your bills,pass on this and bid it next yr when you are prepared.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck with that impossible request

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

What company are you with?

5. MJack

MJack Junior Member

A national facilities company, but we are out of Columbus, OH. And I am not sure that passing is an option that I can do without my boss being ridiculously mad at me for not getting it done. There is no way to price out at all?

6. Bossman 92

No way to ACCURATELY price it. There are WAY too many variables and you are WAY short on time. You need someone from each location to visit each site and they can bid the property. Trying to figure a price on a property from several hundred or a thousand miles away is not a good idea....for ANYONE.

Why cant you reveal the company you work for?

7. MJack

MJack Junior Member

So there is no way for me to figure out pricing with out knowing the size of the parking lot based on an hourly rate?

8. MJack

MJack Junior Member

I can, I just prefer not to in case my boss come across the thread. I am just the grunt trying to figure out how to do this request...

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your good you should know how long it would take to plow it with Google maps. Besides your bid is to high no matter what you give them.

10. Bossman 92

No. You think your boss would be pissed if you told him you cant quote this??? How pissed is he gonna be when you pull numbers out of the sky, land the contract, cant hire anyone to perform the job, but hire some rummy company to try and manage it only to be fired mid season?? Then you have above mentioned rummy company suing you for wages you cant pay??

Not being rude....just honest. Walk away

11. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

You're going to get zero help if you don't post up who you work for, and possibly even the job sites.

Look at it this way:
    You post up the info, guys here help you out (assuming it isn't a national that has screwed people), and even have some here take on the local accounts.

Your call, but you aren't likely to get far without that info and the clock is ticking. You have a little over 3 days to figure it out, not us.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck. Start throwing darts at the wall

13. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

you can measure all the sites using google maps or software programs like Ilawns. You have to assume that you will use 3/4 ton or ton pickups. You can also assume that you will pay the prevailing wage for union work which is available for different locations. You can also get a few salt suppliers to quote deliveries to multiple sites but you can't predict how much each area uses easily. Also insurance costs will vary according to states such as workmen's compensation. You also have to consider how much interest costs are to float this operation and what happens in a super storm. You won't win the bid and make money on such short notice unless you have been doing this a long time. Best bet, show your boss that you are trying to put together a package that makes good business sense. It might take you three years to put together a package that covers all the areas. Hardest thing is building trust with sub contractors who actually do the work.

14. 1olddogtwo

Dude killed when he said national.

Basic what you asking is for the knife to cut our throats

National isn't something you will get help here on PS. You must know what's up by the 1st post. You know, referring to....you pay. National vendors like yourself (good or bad) are all grouped together as the enemy and downfall of the industry. True or not, that's how its perceived here on PS. I'm sure the same is said about us from the other side of the coin.

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

"Cost/Push 2" to 4" of snow Cost/Push 5" to 6" of snow Cost/Push 7" and over of snow Cost/Hour: Snow Removal From Site (by front-end loader and dump truck) "On-Call" parking Lot Salting (By Sq. Ft.) "On-Call" Sidewalk Clearing & Salting (By Sq. Ft.). Is there anyone who has any ideas on how to help? Do I have to know the square footage? I am out of my element here and we are even willing to work with companies that self perform...this is just a nightmare...Thank you in advance."

Size would be nice to know because if they are big you will need big equipment. :dizzy:

Anyway here is some info for you, I am going to say one acre for the size.
    43560 sq feet. Some junk in the way.

Per push 2"-4" $216Thumbs Up
    5" - 6" $432 Because I am going to plow it twice
    over 7" $648 Because I am going to plow it three times / $216 for each extra 3 inches.

This is what I can get here after a "Big company" had done it for the lowball price. You get what you pay for. Can't help you with Sidewalks because I do not do them by the foot or with salt as I sub that out. I will not bid per hour.:waving:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  16. MJack

MJack Junior Member

The company I work for is called AFM and I can't post all the job sites bc there are 463 of them. I understand some of the mistrust with national companies and hate that there are companies out there that do not pay their subs. I am not the operations person who would decide this, I am just the person who's desk this got put on asking for advice bc I know nothing about it. It's not something we do specifically but we sub contract out for which I agree is really just a huge waste of time bc of all the variables. I know I can log on and try to scout the sites by addresses but most lots are close to the same bc they are for a fast food restaurant. I am just asking if there is any way I can get answers and if not then I'm just going to have to tell my boss that this is a huge time waster and not possible. But I wanted to see if there was any advice if I map and try to get the squire footage for all 463 locations since I have no experience with this type of thing.

17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

AFM stands for?????

Do you have window cleaner subs? If so I think I found your company.

18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

findlotsize.com
    works for getting the size. :)

19. MJack

MJack Junior Member

Sorry, I'm typing on my phone, RSM Maintenance ( RSM) stands for rob, Steve and Mike the three brothers that it is named for. And I also meant square footage. Also, I've haven't used find lot size so thank you! I am not sure if you can map the actual area or just the general area? Do you know? And once I get the square footage, is there a formula to figure out the rest?

20. 1olddogtwo

Best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014