1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help my Husband Please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by removerofsnow, Feb 25, 2005.

1. removerofsnow

removerofsnow Junior Member
    from NJ

Hi, I have been plowing not for too long. I am having a problem and I want soem advice on it please. Well, actually My Husband is the one having the problem.
    He plows a Church Parking lot in a residential area, Usually he does the plowing in time for 6:30am services. He usually does them at 5:30-ish
    Lately, he has been doing 2 per nite, and one of them around 12:30am-1:00am.
    The problem is that the church borders a home and the homeowners are complaining that he is keeping them awake.
    They told him that plowing at that time is distrbing the peace in NJ and is infact against the law.
    He explained that the dpw plows all nite and they told him (they actually went out to his truck) they told him that he was not dpw and the parking lot was not a street and his plowing was keeping them awake.
    Now I will give you that the windows to the home are very very close to where he plows, maybe about 5 ft. But still there is no law against this correct?
  2. winterblues

winterblues Junior Member

Around here the cops would laugh at these people. Theres no law like that, it's work that has to be done and at a certain time, I wouldnt sweat it.
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

It is realy up to the church to work it out. if they require it to be plowed before services and they are that early then it is up to them to agree with the neighbors when it could be done. eather that or they will have to change the time of the services to acomadate the neighbors sleep.
    As far as a law aginst making noise that is something you will have to check localy. Here is aginst the law to operate equipment on private property after 12PM til 6:am but no one complaines. if they did no snow would get removed.
    Your laws will surley be different.
  4. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I believe it's up to the municipality to determine noise ordinances regarding this type of activity. I would gander that they came over and talked to him because they called the local PD and didn't like the response they got. We haven't had a lot of storms this season, they shouldn't really be complaining because they wake up for 20 minutes in the middle of the night one or two nights out of 365 a year. Plowing at night, before everyone is out and about(and in your way) is just part of the game. As you stated, DPW does it and they haven't been fined. Unless the truck is running an open exhaust, I don't think there's much that the neighbors can do.
  5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Got any pics of the blazer? Interested
  6. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Well, I'm police officer in NJ (and no, I don't harass plow drivers, but we have arrested drunk ones before)...anyway...NJBuickRacer is right. Issues involving excessive, irritating "noises" are generally addressed through local ordinances and not state laws. In fact, aside from a state law pertaining to vehicle exhaust noise, I can't think of any state laws that address "noise" violations. Again, NJBuickRacer is most likely right in saying that the homeowners probably complained to the local PD and didn't like the answer they got. Or they complained to the town council, who then told them to tell the police (good old passing of the buck), who in turn told them there was nothing they could do about it. Tell your husband to bring up the issue with the church and see if some type of solution (beneficial to all involved) can be reached.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

quiter plowing

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't people posted that the non-steel plow edges are quieter? Maybe have the church and homeowner pay to have one of these installed on the truck.
  8. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Getting money out of that neighbor is going to be like getting water from a rock!
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I am in the same boat. House next door. Common sense should prevail here. If possible I don't plow it in the middle of the night. Sometimes because of conditions and schedule I have no choice. During a major storm people must endure lots of things. I think if possible that between 5:30am-6:30am is a decent compromise because the neighbor should have gone to bed early so they could get up early and do their own drive. The world revolves around no one.
  10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

people problems

I think your husband does not have the problem. The neighbors do. Your husband is handling this right. He is meeting his side of the contract to keep the parking lot clear of snow and ice. You have a contract to live up to. This is just simple contract fulfillment. Your husband is very logical and to keep the lot clean is #1 and receiving the money for services rendered is #2 while running his business.

I would continue to plow the lot as required and if the people come out I would call police and complain of harassment. If they are this bold I would think threats could come next. I would be prepared for what ever they could try to do.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would do it as late as you can. Early morn in this case. Then I would swing around and plow the complaining neighbors drive. Couple times of that and they may bring you hot coco out.
  12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Just a quick question... Is it the noise from the snow plow they are complaining about or it something like a loud exhaust or something.... Personally I do not see how the snow plow could be loud enough to actually wake someone up in a house with a closed window. I can barely hear my plow with my truck windows closed, and most people who I plow always tell me they never heard me...
  13. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If the surface is flat how much noise can it really make...I have gotten complaints from neighbors of residential before where the house's are close together on bumpy drives.But I agree your husband has a job that he agreed to do that has to be done by a certain time and he is doing it..He is probably not the first or the last that these people have complained about.
  14. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

You have to remember that at 2:00 in the morning, all other background noise is gone to absorb the plow noise. In addition, the plow noise can echo off of other structures making the noise louder.

I plow a store lot, and on two sides, town-homes are no more than 30' away from the side lots that are being plowed.
  15. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I agree with Reaper , plow as late as you can then clean out their drive , if that doesn't shut them up let the Pastor handle it. You have done all you can do at that point.
  16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i say tell them to shut up and let you work or your gonna plow all the snow from the church lot into there driveway :D
  17. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

My $.02 worth...

First I would talk with the Chief of Police, (or other high ranking officer regarding local law. Then, with that info and the name of the complaining party, go to the contact person at the church to have them "negotiate" Often a person will be rude to the "dumb plow guy", but will have a better exchange with someone they think better of. Yes, I'm a "dumb plow guy", and I know that if I had a problem with a neighbor of the church I plow, the person that might have been in my face, would be quite disarmed by the 78 year old lady that called to discuss the problem.
    I also like l the idea of plowing the neighbors drive, but believe the church should offer this (and pay for) after all it is the Church's problem.
    Also, ANYTHING not handled nicely will look bad for the church, and most importantly, for the "plow guy"
  18. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

I would have your husband add a Whelan yellow revolving strobe light to the roof of his truck and make sure that he does not disconnect the back up alarm. I am sure that there are certain towns where there are ordinances against noise, but in cases of acts of god, ie snow, there are only certain times to plow it. (when there is no traffic and nobody to get hurt). I am in NJ, if he needs my help I can keep my high beems focused on the nighboring house while he plows, this should distract them until he is done. Oh, I almost forgot, make sure that when he spreads the salt to back up along their lawn for extra fert.
  19. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I'll bet if the pastor of the church is any good, he can make that happen.. heheh..
  20. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

just run open exhaust...LOL .... you have nothing to worry about. we run 2 stroke snowblowers at 2 3 or 4 am and have no problem everyone here is just tring to make a buck, so do what u gotta do.

good luck