1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! My Fisher wont do down or side to side

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bschurr, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bschurr

bschurr Member

Hooked up my Fisher MM plow last night in hopes of dealing with the 6 inches of wet snow that we just received in Northern NJ. Right after install everything worked fine but as soon as I headed up the driveway, the plow refused to go down or turn right or left. The hydraulics work only to raise the plow and nothing else. Lights work and the pump works but I can not figure out why it wont lower or turn.

Any help/input is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

check your electrical connections, make sure the pump has fluid, is the solenoid clicking?

3. bschurr

bschurr Member

Thanks - fluid level is good and solenoid is clicking...

It was working and then 2 minutes later - NUTHIN!
    I am baffled.

4. unhcp

hmm check your solenoid connections, does your controller light up red?

I am wondering if a valve is stuck? or the pump is going

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Did you flush/clean the pump this year? If there is any water in the system that froze, it would be like a crystal dust in the fluid and will plug the screens in the pump.

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If everything worked and stopped suddenly it sounds electrical.If pump runs when you try turn plow its got to be a valve problem. Not cold enough for a freeze up.I would guess it's something simple.

7. bschurr

bschurr Member

Yes - the controller lights up, no I did not flush and clean the pump this year but did last year and used the plow twice since then.

I agree, it is likely something sooooo simple and probably a bad electrical connection. I was hopeful not to have to start tracing all the wires but I suspect that there is no substitute for all the work associated with the investigation.

Thanks all for the replies!

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would check the plugs first.Clean them and pump some diaelectric grease and you'll be good to go! (trying to be optimistic)

9. unhcp

yeah try wiggling the electrical plugs a little, watch your feet!

10. bschurr

bschurr Member

yup - tried that after the initial faluts...
    Lots of cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, even a little roughing of the contacts with some emory paper - I dont have dielectric grease but will get some & try that.

And yes, lots of wiggling wires too - all to no avail.

Tomorrow afternoon I will trace out each wire and see how it goes...
    AAARGH!!!

11. unhcp

Check your ground/battery connections

12. bschurr

bschurr Member

It turns out that it was the controller - its shot!

Any leads on an inexpensive replacement?

13. unhcp

Pm me I might have something