1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP my E60 is screwed

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by B&E snowplowing, Nov 24, 2012.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

Hopefully someone can help me out.

I have replace the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the pump, and replace the negative cable from the battery to the pump.

I have also had a friend pick up a brand new pump in Toronto for me and still it dosen't work.

I have replace the solenoid as well.

I have replace the wiring harness which goes to the switch inside the truck.

I hooked up the new motor, and tried it before I put it on the pump, and I got nothing, the motor will not run.

I checked with a test light and at the solenoid I had power from the battery to the white wire, but nothing from there to the motor.

I unplugged the negative cable at the motor and now the solenoid is operating correctly, and I have power straight to the motor, but no ground hooked up to the motor so still no go.

I am so frustrated, still snowing, and still haven't been to any customers yet.

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

First, disconnect the positive cable from the pump and make sure that it does NOT come in contact with anything at all.

With a voltmeter or test light, check for voltage between that positive wire and the truck's chassis WHILE you have someone holding the "UP" switch. You should read between 10 and 15 volts (depending on the state of the battery and whether or not the engine is running).

If you do NOT read voltage there, your next step is to check for trigger voltage at the solenoid. To be honest, this is where I'm expecting your problem to be. Disconnect the trigger wire from the main solenoid, and check for voltage (10 to 15 volt) between THAT wire and the truck's chassis (again, with someone holding the "UP" switch). If it reads voltage there, then EITHER the solenoid isn't properly connected to negative, or the solenoid isn't working. You are aware that the flange on the back of the solenoid for bolting it down MUST be electrically connected to chassis negative, right? My guess, however, is that your trigger wire is not getting power when the switches are pressed.

MEYER SWITCHES SUCK. They are the biggest weakness of the entire system. The switches they use do NOT properly handle the amount of current required by the solenoids. As a result, the contacts arc and eventually do not pass current.

Now the main thing that makes me question whether the problem is the trigger voltage is that there are TWO switches and THREE circuits able to activate the motor solenoid.

What you should do is work the switches and LISTEN for solenoids clicking. There are FOUR solenoids on the system, the motor solenoid, and the three hydraulic valves on the pump itself. THEY ALL MAKE AUDIBLE NOISE. If NONE of them are clicking, then $50 says that the low current electrical system isn't getting any power. That means the main positive wire from the back of the switch box to wherever it is hooked up to positive. Note that meyer electrical systems have an inline fuse on this wire. Be sure to check that fuse. Also, I've seen some funny stuff done by installers, such as weaving that wire under the prong of some existing fuse in the vehicle's fuse panel. Make sure that ALL FOUR of the "common" pins read +12 volts when the ignition switch is turned on.

IF THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM CHECKS OUT, the solenoid is working, and there is +12 volts at the motor wire WITH THE MOTOR DISCONNECTED AND THE SWITCH PRESSED, then your problem is going to either be failure to ground at the motor, or the motor itself. Note that you CANNOT test voltage at the motor with the motor HOOKED UP. If the motor is seized, the circuit will be completed through the motor (zero resistance) and the voltage will read ZERO. It has to be disconnected (infinite resistance) to read voltage. If there is voltage at the motor but it does not turn, then you are going to have to take the motor off and clean it up.

Where in Barrie are you located?
  3. B&E snowplowing

Thank you for your help. the problem was the Battery.....Replaced the batter and everything is good now.

I am located in the north end of Barrie just off Bayfield St. Do you know Barrie at all.

Thanks again
  4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If the battery was that bad, how were you able to start the truck's engine? Could it possibly have been just a bad connection to the battery? Hopefully you had the battery tested to confirm.

My inlaws live in Barrie, south end just off marijuana park drive. I'm in the area very frequently and starting to get a pretty good feel of the layout.
  5. B&E snowplowing

Funny the mechanic was wondering the same thing.

Ya we had the battery tested, and its toast.

Thanks again for the help.