1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! My Dodge is giving me fits

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tattood_1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I just recently bought a 95 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 360 auto trans. It will run perfect until about the temp the stat will open fully and then idles spuractic for a couple of seconds then just dies. Will run if you give it throttle, but will not idle without dieing. I just replaced the EGR and solenoid and cleaned the hole of carbon build up and didnt change anything. I have checked for a vacuum leak or intake gasket leaking and they are not. IAC seems to be working. The trans is smoked in it, would that have anything to do with the motor though? Any ideas on what to check? I just dont wanna start throwing parts at it, could get costly.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Has the fuel filter been replaced?
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

i had a 95 that did something very similar... its been years... but i think it had something to do with the distributor being cracked... got it running decently and drove it to the dealership and traded it in. :) Hope that helps!
  4. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Took it off and checked it. I can blow threw it fairly easy so it should be good. It runs good up till the temp gets at normal operating range 190-200 degrees. Gotta be a sensor, coil or something like that breaking down when it gets warm. guess I'm just gonna have to pay someone to put it on the scanner to see. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

When the truck get hot is it running rich??? Seems to me it is a fuel mixture issue WRT temperature. I would look into the trans before heading anywhere. If it needs one then more less you bought a parts truck. If the body is in good shape then start looking for a rusty one with a good drive line and go from there.

What is the trans doing??
  6. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Thats what I was trying to find out for. I don't wanna put $1500 in trans then have a major motor issue too. Dont mind spending some on it, body is in decent shape for what year it is. I take it to the trans shop this week if I dont cancel it.
  7. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Sounds like the problem I had w/ my 94 1500... Check the fuel pump. Mine would run okay till normal operating temps then start to sputter unless you hammered down. Checked the fuel pump and it would only put out about 5 lbs of pressure when truck warmed up, thus not enough fuel to keep it running right.
  8. wddodge

wddodge Member

You just described a crankshaft angle sensor starting to go bad. They are mounted on the rear of the passenger side head and not very fun to get to. The best way to check it is to have a scanner hooked up and watch the cam and crank signals as the engine warms up. I think you'll see the crank signal drop out.