1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help MVP HI V vs Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdfireman, Sep 3, 2014.

1. jdfireman

jdfireman Member
    from NJ

Hello looking for thoughts ( I know its going to be up to me) on the Hi V mvp Vs the wideout I plow many different types of lots in NJ, some with long runs and stacking is not a big problem.

For those who have either plow what are the pros and cons of both

Thank you
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Watch you tube videos of each.

Or search on here, topic has been discussed a lot.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have a wide-out myself but I have run V plows in the past. I found that the V plow is best suited for cutting through big virgin drifts while the wide-out is best for large parking lots. When in V (wings back) you can ram through tall drifts without being thrown into the ditch. I found I had to angle my wide-out and retract the wings to power through big drifts but because of the angle going only one way a big drift can push the truck right off the road. The V slopes equally in both directions so it doesn't push the against the steering. Since I do mostly city parking lots I use a Wide-out now, that 10ft swath and the ability to expand the wings to fit an empty parking stall makes it ideal. If you do both types of plowing go with the V but if you are exclusively urban then go with the Wide-out.
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You can also add wings (and take them off) to the v plow. I have an 8.5 mvp; the wings make it 9.5 plus you still hsve the v plow benefits.
  5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have a wide out and a 9.5 Vee with wings. The 9.5 with wings is dead on with a wide out. It just depends on the type of plowing. The hi vee will windrow better in deeper snow but the wide out will actually do better on normal plows. The hinge pin on vee does slow the snow roll a little. Vee will stack better also. But it's all about the lots you do.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I was going buy a XLS it like the wide out but it has the trip edge But I went back to a 9.6 MVP W/wings Its hard get away from a plow that can do it all I have 3 Vs

If do the Snow calculator on western site it will show the wide out moving snow in less time if compared to the 9.6 V but put wings on it Thing will out do a Wide-out in scoop mode WO is 8.10'' and V plow with wings on straight mode is 10'+
    The Vplow will scape better to Where the wide out will tend to lift up under a load That I have seen