1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! MM1 Won't Angle Left

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Bakernator, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

So the last couple storms after about halfway through my plow would loose its left angle. The coil comes on, but the pump does not run. All the other functions are fine raise, lower and right angle. I feel like i have troubleshot everything and am banging my head. I need to get it working before the next storm tomorrow night. Any Thoughts??

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If everything else works I would suggest trying another control.

3. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

I tried a different controller, and a different isolation module and still have the same symptom.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you getting power at the signal wire at the coil when you press left?

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like the solenoid coil is not getting power like diesel said.Remove the plastic cover and check for power at the solenoid coil.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. dieselss

I was actually meaning solenoid.
    But yea. Are you getting power at both of them

7. chevyzrule810

The light green wire goes to the S2 solenoid coil which controls left and right. Light blue wire to the S3 solenoid which controls raise and left.Remove the terminal wires from the coil and attach a multi-meter across the terminals you should get a reading of 7 ohms which tells you it's a good coil

8. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

I checked all of the coils and they were at 7ohms, and getting power to them when the switch is activated. The main solenoid is not activating for all functions is what it seams like now. What voltage should I see at the main solenoid signal wire? I am getting 8 volts at the signal wire for two of the functions and 6.5v for the left angle. Shouldn't I be seeing 12v?

9. dieselss

I would think you'd need the 12v at the signal wire.
    Are you getting 12v to the clicker via the ign hot wire?

10. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

What do you mean by the clicker? Main Solenoid?

11. dieselss

Controller....less spelling.

12. chevyzrule810

Have you performed the coil cartridge activation test?Seeing as you have the plastic cover off and are testing the coils mine as well perform the test.Disconnect the red positive wire from motor.Operate the controller to see if you have magnetic pull at the coils.The S2 coil light green wire should have pull when you angle left and angle right.The S3 coil light blue wire should have pull when you raise and angle left.

13. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

Well I was able to get it working last night. I took the shotgun approach since the storm was on its way. I replaced the main solenoid, the releif valves and the poppet valve. I also ended up having to run a ground wire from the motor ground stud to the coils on the valve body. Not sure why it needed to be grounded out, but it got me going again. Thanks for the help guys!

14. dieselss

Not sure why it needed to be grounded out, but it got me going again.

That's how dc electricity works. Power AND ground complete the circuit.

15. Bakernator

Bakernator Junior Member
    from Maine

I am well aware that a circuit needs to be complete in order to work......

I meant I am not sure why NOW it needed to be grounded out. I must be losing my ground somewhere in the harness or plugs.

16. dieselss

Might have lost it at the split where it goes to the coils and lights.

17. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

the control harness plow side has 3 hot wires wht grn blu and 3 grounds one on each valve solenoid it also should have a blk/org wire with a 5/16 eyelet that attaches to the ground stud on the motor that eyelet or wire u connected puts ground to the valve solenoids