1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP midwieght plow won't turn?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RCAV8TER, Jan 14, 2011.

1. RCAV8TER

RCAV8TER Junior Member

I need help trouble shooting my midwieght plow. The problem is that sometimes the plow doesn't want to turn either way. The motor runs and it seems to me that one of the angle(turn) valves may not be opening all the way. I had my controller tested at the western dealer and they said that it was OK. Also when the plow doesn't want to turn and i try to angle it to the left it will raise up, and then drop back down into float mode? So please point me in a good direction of where to start chasing this problem. I am fairly mechanically inclined and have basic tools and up to the challenge just need a liitle direction.

Thanks in advance as i know good advice is on the way!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the S-2 and S-3 valves out and see if the shift smoothly. push a phillips screwdriver in the end if the valve. should move about an 1/8 inch.

3. RCAV8TER

RCAV8TER Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I just looked on the western site and found the schematic for the hydraulics, so do i remove the entire check valve or just the top that has the wires attached? I also just checked out the truck to plow plugs wiped of some of the grime plugged them back together and the plow turned both ways. So is there a possibility there is not a very good contact at the plugs?

Thanks

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Before you do anything

A) check the fluid to make sure it is full and level

B) check the plug (grill connector) to make sure it is clean.If not, use battery cleaner, let it soak, then blow it out (if you have one) an air gun..After it is clean, put a good amount of dielectric grease on both ends of the plug..using the controller, turn the plow both ways.

Before you take the wires off the coil on the S vales,

C)check for if they will magnetize first.. Have someone move the controller left.Using a screw driver, touch the valve..If the screw driver stick to the valve, they the coil is fine..

D) if that doesn't work, then pull the S valve and check it..Also check the passage way as well to make sure nothing blocking the hole.

5. RCAV8TER

RCAV8TER Junior Member

Thanks twinman for the reply i did some looking around the forum and found some others with similar problems. I will try cleaning the plugs with battery cleaner, I already wiped them down and regreased the and the plow worked again. So i will do everthing you said today just to be sure. We all know how much it sucks to have this sort of annoying problem in the middle of a storm.

Thanks alot for the advice Thumbs Up

6. twinman326

I been there and done that one.........It already happen to me,last year with 26" of snow on the ground.....Make sure the ground wire is also clean and fasten good..Good luck

7. RCAV8TER

RCAV8TER Junior Member

Alright i tried everything you (twinman) suggested.
    1) fluid is full
    2) coils have magnetism when actuated
    3) valves are working smoothly

I am starting to think the problem may be the controller :confused: Let me explain what is happening, when the plow doesn't want to turn and you push the left button the plow will raise but then immediatly drop back into float mode. After a couple of cycles of this the plow will then again start turning/operating as normal. Should i take the controller apart and try cleaning ,or look for a short of some kind?

I think i saw or read somewhere that they make a replacement circut board or should i just get a new controller? Also any idea what a new hand held controller goes for?

Thanks guys for any info you have been very helpfull already!!!

8. twinman326

Before you go crazy, check the controller harness plug (were your controller plug into). Make sure the pins inside the plug are making good contact.

if everything ok, try to borrow someone else controller,someone you know...That would be a good way to tell if your controller has a problem.

Look at your last post (# 5) you said everything was working ok??

9. RCAV8TER

RCAV8TER Junior Member

I have checked the plug on both ends and the pins are tight and shiny so i would assume that they are OK. This problems is frustrating because i will go out for work and do my proper pre-trip inspection and make sure that everything is good including cycling the plow. Then when i arrive at the first property and go to angle the plow..... wont turn :realmad: So i will make a pass or two and then the plow comes back to life normal working order :confused: and then the frustrating cycle continues. So tomorrow i will try swapping out controllers and see.

10. twinman326

you check your grounds??

Check them on the motor relay (solenoid) and plow frame...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i bet your problem lies in the grill plugs. have a helper run the control and move the plug back and forth and up and down.