1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP - Meyers E47 frozen

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JFon101231, Jan 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Well I used the truck to plow my driveway Wednesday evening, and went to do a touchup last night because there was some heavy winds, and now the plow won't move. I can hear the motor making noise (and although I just bought the truck recently, I can now see the pump weeps some) so I assume it is frozen!

I had dropped the plow, but didn't fully push in the ram. Now, I can't push it in by hand, and can't angle or raise the plow. What is the best way to fix this ASAP? I need to drive the truck this afternoon and don't want to go around town dragging the plow :) I thought of heating up the pump w/ a propane torch, but wasn't sure if this was a no-no. Its going to be below freezing and no sun today, so help :help: I wish my garage was heated :cry:

2. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

One other thing to mention, last night I could angle the plow by moving the joystick for a few seconds then moving the plow manually with my hands, so some fluid must have been moving at that point. I could not do that this morning...

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Sounds like there is water in the pump. When was the last time the fluid was changed?
    You could pull the pump and take it in the house/basement to warm it up and drain it.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah, I am reading through posts found through a search now (I know, should have done first!). I just bought the truck two months ago, so unknown. The pump top weeps so I assume that is where its getting in. Actually, the truck isn't what I need based on what I've learned, and someone is supposed to come today or tomorrow to buy the truck, so I'm trying to get it ready and don't have the time or wish to do a complete flush before then. I guess what I'll do is put the truck in the unheated garage and remove the pump and bring it in the house to thaw it out and then just reinstall it as is and suggest to the new buyer that they the flush it...

Jeff

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Searching is your friend. Bought a battery (pad) heater and with a zip tie, put it around the pump. Hit the rams w/ a little shot from the propane torch, and an hour later all was well. Thanks site!

6. Lawnscape PM

Lawnscape PM Junior Member

I usually add a couple of table spoons of gasline antifreeze with the water evapourator in it. Methel hydrate will work too. This usually keeps moderate amounts of moisture under control. I've had it go from plus 2 C to minus 40 C within 36 hours and had no trouble after my magic potion. I have heard that it may dry out the O rings or seals if you add too much, but I have never had trouble over the years.