1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Meyer E47 Still Not Lifting

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Larry45, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

I have a Meyer E47 snowplow and when I'm out doing some plowing, now and then the plow sometimes wont raise, if you keep trying eventually it will work and go up. The worst is on really cold days (-20 for example) then it wont raise at all. You can hear the plow motor go when you push the switch to raise it, but it doesn't go up. What may be the problem? Is it the pump? Will the fluid in it cause this if it is old or maybe dirty (little bit of moisture/water in it). I bought the plow used so I am not really sure when the fluid was changed. It use to work fine (but I always thought it was a little slow raising). The plow is probably about 15 years old. Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this issue.

*** I did flush and refill with new fluid as requested ***

I drained the old fluid out, then flushed the main lift ram cylinder with keorsene and cleaned up the 2 filters by the drain plug (the filters did seem to have little ice crystles in them). After I done that and filled it with fluid again it seemed to work fine for a couple of days. Then as before it wouldn't lift on times, and now it wont lift at all. When it was lifting for them couple of days after I drained and flushed it, the temp was warmer and in the +'s and now it is cold again and back down to the -10 to -15 area. What may be the cause of this? Is it possible I didn't flush good enough to get all the moisture and water out and it's still freezing? I drained the fluid and then flushed it with a quart of keorsene. I put the keorsene in the fill hole and just let it poor threw the main ram cylinder, then I pushed the main ram cylinder up and down a couple of time to try and clean it out. Is this what you do? or is there maybe something else causing it not to lift.
  2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Is the angling also affected when it won't lift?
  3. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

Meyer E47 Still Not Lifting Propable

the angle seems to work fine, It would not go up again this morning (had another cold night -15) finally after about 20 minutes of trying it eventaully went up. but if you dropped it down again it still would not go back up. sometimes when it's like this (not raising propably) and you go to raise it, it will angle to the left now and then. As I said I finally got it to go up this morning, when I did I put it in my garage and tried to warm it again. Even in there it still would not go up at first but it seemed after it warmed up it started working fine again. It's in my garage now and working perfect (up and down and left to right) without any problems at all. Not sure if this is just a considence or whatever. So I'm gonna fush and fill with new fulid again just in case I didn't get all the water/moisture out the first time I did it. It do seem it works good when it's not cold, but put it out in the freezing temps and it just dont want to raise. I still do have a funny feeling even with me flushing and filling again it still wont lift on the next really cold day/night, but I'll hope for the best.
  4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

5. sefh

sefh Senior Member

If it did raise then there is NOT an electrical issue. I would guess that you have water in the system and it's freezing. Flush your system. put in some good Meyer's blue fluid, change your filters also. Then I would add a cap full of HEET into your system. This will help prevent the freeze up issues.
  6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I agree to disagree...kinda.It probably is water in ith system and freezing up. but, "If it did raise then there is NOT an electrical issue." It could be electrical, need more details to know for sure
  7. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

Probably need to check your A coil. See if it has magnetism or not. If it doesnt then you should replace it. Use the search engine and type in magnetism that should help you also.
  8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

The A valve drops the plow?
  9. Larry45

Larry45 Junior Member
    from Canada

This time I think I may have it cured. Seems to be working fine now (knock on wood). And it is cold enough to skin you here today. -14 last night and it went up without any hesitation this morning. Had it parked at my work all day, it must have been in the -20's with the windchill and when I went to leave it worked perfect again without any hesitation. As I said earlier I was going to drained it and flushed it again just in case I didn't get all the moisture out the first time. This time I flushed alot better. I drained the fluid, took out the 2 filters on the front. (The fluid that came out was really milky looking, even thouh I only flushed 4 days ago and filled with new fluid) I hit the raise switch to turn over the motor a bit to get it out of the pump. I then flushed with keorsene and pumped the main ram up and down a few times. Then I put the fill plug and filter plugs back in and filled with keorsene. I then hit the raise switch again to circulate the keorsene threw the pump an system, The main ram would lift with just the keorsene in it (I unhooked the plow chain, therfore the plow didn't raise). I did this a few times and then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then I removed the drain plug and the 2 filter plugs again to let it drain (I also let it sit for another 30 minutes to let it drain good and clean). Then I filled with hydraulic fluid once again and it seem to work fine. It even seems to sound smoother than before. I guess the motor is not straining as much. As I said before, it is really cold today and it is working better than it ever did. I just hope it keeps up. Thanks a mint guys for all the advise. Everyone around here I went to kept saying it sounds like an electrical problem (not one person ever said anything about water/moisture freezing in the fluid).