1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP meyer e 47

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wendel, Jan 10, 2010.

1. wendel

wendel Junior Member

this is my first year of plowing. i just got a 6 ft 6 inch meyer plow with a e 47 pump not in bab shape. well i got it all hooked up. and without plow on front the pump went up. but i thought it was slow. than hooked plow up and will raise some but not off the ground. and will not angle. motor seems to work well. im try to flush it with kero. i read on this site. someone told me it mite be low in fluid any help with this thanks and can i use ATF in this pump after i flush it:

2. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Be sure to flush the whole system and not just the pump. I would not recommend using ATF-especially on an E47-spend the dough on a quality plow fluid. After you flush and fill,see what happens. If it is still slow/not raising let us know and we can help you from there. Check ALL your wiring-especially the grounds.
    Good luck and welcome to the site--ton's of great info. here-just use the search feature.

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site wendel
    After you start reading the back posts you will see that your questions have been answered over and over.

To Flush the system: It's the same as changing fluid but you may have to do it over and over depending how dirty it is.
    After emptying the pump, rams, hoses and cleaning the filters, fill the pump with Naptha or Mineral Spirits.
    Cycle all functions of the pump with the plow controls for a few times and then empty it all out again into a clean container this time and each time you do it to see if it is getting cleaner.
    If the flushing agent comes out clean, drain pump and angle rams as you just did and fill with the proper fluid.
    Now if the first oil and or Flushing agent comes out dirty or milky, repeat the above using clean agent over and over until it comes out clean. If it comes out milky, you have water getting into your system and you have to fix the leak. If the last flush comes out nice and clean, save that and use it for the first flush the next time you Flush the system. If you just have to use Kerosene, then Meyers recommends using Naptha anyway to make sure that you get all the Kerosene out before filling it with the proper fluid. Then you might recheck your filters in case some junk broke loose in the flushing. ATF is not the proper fluid, cheaper yes, but not proper. Kerosene don’t belong in there for other than a quick cleaning.

As dchr said, check your connections, specially the grounds. This doesn't mean to just check to see if they are tight. You should take them apart and make them clean and shiny and then put Dialectric grease on them and tighten them up. After you read the back posts, you will see all the trouble the grounds cause.
    Good Luck in Plowing

4. wendel

wendel Junior Member

cool thanks guys i flushed it out with kero and put ATF i had it on shelf i will take it out and put the good stuff in it works great now. i need to replace hoses they are lecking some. thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi again wendel. Ok, you asked what to do and was told and you did the oppisite. If you are going to put the good stuff in later, you will have to flush it out again to get the Kerosene out or it may damage your seals. You can not mix different plow fluids, but it's your plow. Now I maybe wrong, but then so is Meyer engineers and many professions plowers and plow mechanics.

6. wendel

wendel Junior Member

yea im flush it out i did it be4 i read your reply. i read a lot of ppl are useing ATF. but thanks for the help