1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me with this idea! Please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by gardenkeeper88, Aug 13, 2006.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Ok In my area NO one and I mean No one bids with a set montly price to hold a contractor. Last year we had only 3 plowable snowfalls in Jan & Feb. I did some shoveling & salting but still started the landscape season about $12,000.00 behind plus the additional wages I paid weekly to keep an employee on call. We're still feeling the effects of it. If I start out being the only one charging a seasonal price with a clause for additional if we get over ...... snow. then I feel that alot of my commercial accts will start to entertain other bids. If they don't bidthe same way but our rates are the same I feel I will lose them because the chances of small amounts again.
    Here's my thought: Offer 2 ways to go. first way sign the same contract as always but at a higher hourly rate, or sign a new contract with a straight monthly price and a lower rate. They get more for the money on a larger snowfall year and we win to pay employees on a lighter year. Is this stupid thinking? I need to get the guaranteed monthly to pay an employee. We have 2 trucks and I did my first trial of a sub contractor last year. In Dec. it worked great. My wife says forget the employee drop some accounts and just hire a subcontractor. I don't like going backward in buisness. Never had this prob before but want to cover my A$$ so I don't again. Thanks for ALL suggestions!!!!