1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me set up my 1993 f-superduty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DodgeRam1996, Jul 24, 2010.

1. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

I've got a 1993 Diesel Superduty flatbed dually 5 speed that I want to use this season for plowing and salting. It's got some rust on it, but it runs strong. How can I set up the truck to make it a "decent" plow truck? What I'm mainly referring to are: tires, plow size and spreader size (i.e. weight in the back), but feel free to mention anything else that will help (other then add 4wd, lol).

What I'm looking at is (minimal setup): 7-8 foot plow (keep the weight down in the front), 2 snow tires on the inside of the dual wheels (and chains in the cab in-case I get stuck), 2 yard spreader.

Or do I have to go all out: 8-9 foot plow (large plow will clear path for the tires), 6 snow tires (maybe go with the option to add studs?), 2.5 yard spreader, and add limit-slip (because I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it).
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

nothing less than 8.5 blade so you can clear the wheels, the rear tires should all be the same on a dually not just 2. traction will be less because of the duals unless you got plenty of weight in the back
    since it isn't 4wd go with the 2.5 yd spreader and keep it full when plowing deeper snow.
    I am not a fan of plowing with 2wd or stick but guys do it.
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You'll want a couple tow straps and some shackles for when you get stuck, as for tires, bfg AT!
    A fire extinguisher just in case!! You might want to get a tool box underneath it for keeping wrenches and tools.
    Also you'll want a beacon and maybe a backup alarm.
  4. DodgeRam1996

I'm worried about weight up front, if I went with a 7 or 7.5 blade and added wings would I clear the rear tires?
  5. ajslands

Yup! Wings add 11" on each side.
  6. ajslands

But I don't know what happens when the plow is angled all the way, it might not clear it then...
    Also idk I you can put wings on a sport duty. I'm sure you could but I don't know for sure.
  7. DodgeRam1996

Will it be hard to find a mount for a 1993?
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious, why does the weight of a 8.5-9' blade bother you on the truck?
  9. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

whats the truck 350, 450, 550?
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray lin at the top of the page.
    Search: Plowing with a 2 wheel drive
    The reading material that comes up can give you the ins and outs of plowing with such a truck.
    Search: Charging, low power, duel batteries <--- More subjects to study
    Plow trucks need amps to function well.
  11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

as said previously, either an 8.5, or 9 foot plow, 4 good snow tires across the back, 2.5 yard sander, and a couple of tow straps.
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

carry the number of a local towing co. or someone that can pull you out.
  13. tjctransport

2 wheel drive is not a big deal. in 35 years of plowing, i don't think i have put a plow truck in 4 wheel drive 5 times.
  14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You guys have to remember where people live. He's in VA, how much snow do they get in VA each year?? A 2 wheel drive with A LOT of weight would probably be fine. Get some chains and a few straps.
  15. tjctransport

VA. gets about half the snow we get here on the Jersey shore. i say it is gonna be no big deal using a 2 wheel drive there if we use them all the time here.