1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me select a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLM-1, Nov 29, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I am in the process of buying a GMC 2500hd crewcab with the duramax/allison.

I would like to get some sort of v-plow. That is a good choice isn't it? I also can't decide on which brand. I want one that doesn't have a lot of junk hanging off the bottom of the truck because I also have a farm and need all the ground clearance i can get. but i want what works best with the least amount of headaches!

I am new to this industry. i usually just mow grass but i am getting more and more inquires about plowing so i thought i would give it a shot.

Thanks for the help
  2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Western MVP Ultra mount!!! Do you have timberens because you will most likely need them on the chevys...
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

in my research the western plows with the ultra mount seem to offer the most off season ground clearance. the only problem that you are going to run into is finding a dealer that is willing to mount a v-plow on that truck. i believe the v's are too heavy for a crew cab. the largest plow i could put on my extended cab was a 7.5 because of the d-max.

hope this helps.
  4. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Sounds like you might be plowing on your own, go with the vee blade. I know of several guys with vee blades that plow with Chevy crew cabs with no problems. I personally like the BOSS Vee blades. I'm sure any of the "major" manufactures make good products, your decision might come down to what the best and closest dealership in your area sells.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway v plow would be a bit lighter. Get someone from their customer service to download you the instructions. It should tell you how far off the ground the subframe will/should be.
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western and fisher make the best v plows imo
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Now that i have done more reading i don't think my truck will be able to handle the weight of a V plow because of the duramax. I wish they would put some axles under these trucks.

Do you guys think that it would handle an 8 1/2 Western ProPlow? It only weighs 715# vs 899# of the 8 1/2 V. I guess timbrens front and rear with as much ballast as my truck would handle would help...please advise!

Thanks guys!
  8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Just installed a blizzard 810 (950lbs.) on a new chev duramax 2500. No problem, carries it well. This guy is a serious comm. plower and knows what will work on what.
  9. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Bolts did he have Timberns on the truck?
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

No timbrens and I don't use them on my GMC's either. Just crank up torsion bars 5 turns. Good to go.
  11. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

are they extended cabs?
  12. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

go with a western.... i would say get the 8.5 mvp... but u have a crew cab so im not sure u can do that... maybe u can get away with a straight blade ?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  13. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

for everybody's information...i haven't bought the truck yet I just have deposit down. Should i get the extended cab instead of the crew cab? neither one fits in my garage so it doesn't really matter.