1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me price a Huge Commercial Lot PLZ!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ARW479, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ARW479

ARW479 Junior Member

I did this lot years ago and have always done their lawn care, parking lot sweeping, etc. They want me to push and salt again from now on! Its a 15-20 acre lot. I seen some price ideas for salting, but what about pushing itself?? 6 years ago we got basically no snow and I was charging $100 an hour for one truck and spreader and came out well!! But with a big snow season ahead I think, I don't know if it would work using a BUNCH of salt!! This was the wetest spring / summer on record!! Can someone tell me the ideal price to charge for pushing AND salting? I think the price on 50 pound bags of salt was @ $7.50 last year! I have 2 plows to use! 7.5' and a 5' on a Kubota, 300 pound spreader. Please reply ASAP!!! Email me directly if you can!

Thanks in Advance guys! PS: I basically got screwed out of this account when USM took over for awhile, and now got it back when the sane people was back in charge! LOL
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You are going to do a 15-20 acre (what's 5 acres here and there) with one truck and bagged salt?
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This going be a good thread

Only thing I can say is WHAT!!!! 15-20 acres with bag salt

You have a Google earth photo So I can see what you are plowing around

Then I'll be able tell you what the price could be
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well 1st post up a pix,2nd buy bulk salt,I'm some American company near you sells it.3rd 5ft plow?
  5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

2 plows with no employees = 1 plow
    7.5' and a 5' on a kabota still = 1 plow
    Maybe you get different snow down there in VA. Up here a truck clears 1 acre per hour. = 15- 20 hours to clear the lot.
    Up here, rate of application is 3/4 - 1 ton of salt per acre. That = as much as 800 bags.
    Now you see why some are being sarcastic. It can't be done.
    Try this site, www.findlotsize.com.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Wilnip is correct for the most part. It can be done with 1 piece of equipment, but it is next to impossible. An 8 foot blade is rated at 1 acre per hour. That is going to be with relatively short pushes. If there was any chance of pushing the shortest distance on the front lot that you have listed before you got 1/4 of the way down the longer measurement. on a 4 inch snow, the snow would be so deep you couldn't move it anymore. You will need a loader of some sort and a minimum of a 12 foot pusher on it. It would be preferable to have a big enough loader to run a 16 foot pusher. Even at that point you are looking at about 4 hours to push this 1 lot.
    Now off on your salt idea. Bagged salt for this lot would be a huge waste of time. You need to use bulk. Now with bulk of course you need a different truck an at least a 9 foot v box. Now lets just say you can salt 4 acres in 1 load of your new v box. That means you either need 4 or 5 of these trucks, all sitting full waiting to go, or need a way to load salt into your 1 truck. That either means on-site storage for your bulk salt, or you need another piece of equipment ( loader, or bobcat ) at your salt location, or you need to buy direct from a business that can load salt for you.
    Now all together your looking at an investment of at least 50 to 60 thousand dollars for used up almost dead equipment to pull this off, not to mention at least 2 employees besides yourself. To buy good used equipment your looking at about 150 thousand and to buy new equipment your looing at about 300 thousand. I know I am getting a little off course on this, but bear with me.
    My biggest and final point. As stated before, it can be done with what you have, but plan on being on this 1 site for at least 24 hours straight with no sleep. Make sure you have the latest and greatest equipment, (truck, and plow), and make sure you have many back up plans in place. You are looking at 5 skids of salt per application at a rate of 800 pounds per acre. You better plan on hiring at least 1 more guy. Also on a side note, be sure to tell the manager that it will take 24 hours to plow the lot once. You might get a guy pissed off at you if your not honest and upfront about it! lol!!!!
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sorry if I made you mad, didn't try to.
    This isn't a guessing game. If you guessing on the acres ,then everybody here is guessing on a price.

On your snow plow 7.6 to do 15-20 acres. That's crazy but maybe you don't get deep snows.
    You said you have (((ZERO Employee's))) So how do you plow with 2 plows at same time. The 5ft plow is a sidewalk plow is your 15-20 acres figures, is that with sidewalks if so what is the footage of the lot.
    Do you get to pile snow where ever or you have push all to end of the lot.
    There are so many factors in this and you didn't give all the info that most guys need to help you on a price. The best way is with a photo

If you don't want to walk it get Google Earth .You can measure the site that way and post the earth photo
  8. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

I'm confused... why do people always think that someone else being chosen to the the work makes that person wrong or bad?

"The sane" people are back in charge, so they chose me, with less capability, no stability and no idea what to charge?

Please help me understand this "I'm the best, because I'm me and not them" mentality?

I have this sneaking suspicion that your guess of 15-20 acres is WAY off.

most lowes/home depot size lots are 4- 9 acres. so you are talking a lot three times the size of the average home improvement warehouse and you are thinking you want to do this with one pick up truck? by yourself, and bagged salt.

IF you guess is right, I'm picturing something like a big stripmall that has multiple adjacent parking lots for thins like a Big Buy, office depot, Cabelas and payless shoes, probably with a mcdonalds and/or taco bell thrown in.

ALL those stores are going to want service NOW... not...oh... I see him working on the Big Buy, hell be over here in 4 hours...no biggie!

alternatively maybe it's one of those big industrial parks (Ibm east fishkill for example.... 150 acres).

I think you should start out with gas stations and mcdonalds to get your feet wet.
    as you are either over estimating the size of this place, or way in over your head.

If it's really 15 acres, my word of advice would be to bring in a sub or two...possibly two other guys with a solo truck, figure out what they want to get paid to handle their third... charge the same for your third and add a 10% to their prices to handle the added management... try to find at least one guy with a commercial sander and more than a 1/2 ton pick up.
  9. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

either your idea of an acre is way off or they are giving you 3 days to clear the lot.

15-20 acres is a lot of blacktop. that's bigger than the walmart here and also the home depot shopping center. those places use 2 loaders 2 skid and 2-3 trucks to clear the lot in acceptable amount of time.
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Helllllooooooo subscribe button!
  11. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

You guys scared him away :eek:

I admit I want to find out what happened with him.

Was it 15 acres? or was it 5 acres as some have speculated.

Is he working alone? or does he have subs?

But I'm sure we will never know because you meanies scared him off. :mad:

LOL :laughing: