1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nitehawk64, Feb 14, 2007.

1. nitehawk64

nitehawk64 Junior Member
    from 46391

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 Cyl 4.0 Automatic 135000 miles. 1st What are the letter symbols for this vehicle? XJ JX ? 2nd How do you tell Selectrac from Quadratrac? 3rd is there a Western plow that will fit this? If not a Western what other brand? And would I be considered Smart or Stupid to put a plow on it. Thanks for any help.

2. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

John, I think the Quadratrack is full time FWD? You should be able to google that for sure. I don’t think you’ll find a western plow to fit your Jeep. You’ll end up with a very light unit that won’t push much snow. IMO your rig is just too light for plowing, and a 6 cylinder just wont have the guts to plow.
    Just my .02.
  3. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Easiest way is to look at the transfer case lever. How many choices do you have? My SlecTrac has 2wd/part time 4wd high/ full time 4wd high/neutral/4wd low. I seem to recall that Quadratrac has fewer selections.
  4. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

You have an XJ

I've seen plows on the front of Cherokees, I believe they were Meyers. They looked pretty heavy on the front end though, couldn't tell you whether they worked well or not, just throwing it out there.

I think Selectrac has the option of 4 Full-Time and the other has 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. nitehawk64

nitehawk64 Junior Member
    from 46391

Different Trac's

Mine has 2H, 4H, N, and 4L is that Command-Trac? I will tell you this. It is my first real experience with a Jeep. I've got a 77 GMC Jimmy 4X4 and know it's limitations. So wanting to get more familiar with the Jeep. The other day we had a lot of snow. My son lives about 5 miles South of me. We are in the country with blowing and drifting snow. My wife and I decided to see how close we could get to them. The Snow had stopped, but we were driving through drifts that were up to and over the bumper. But took our time and made it through all of them in 4H. Until the curve just before his house, couldn't pull through it. So I put her 4L and went through it with no problem. We were never far enough from a house we couldn't walk to (I’m 65 and no my limits). And approached the drifts slowly. I figure if I drive in slow and get bogged down. I can back out. I feel a little more comfortable with the Jimmy, because it is bigger and sets higher. But the Jeep did it’s thing.

6. plow/truck

plow/truck Member

I’m sure you have Selecta
    track. I’m sure the Quadratrack has locking diffs and full time FWD.
    Sounds like you enjoy your jeep!
    I think you’ll regret putting a plow on it though. From what I’ve been reading it hard on front-ends & if you plan on keeping your jeep for a daily driver, I would do it.
    Keep in mind your Jeep is more a car than a truck, and I also heard that trucks tend to over heat plowing.
    Good luck with your search.
  7. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 2000 cherokee with the same transfer case. I have plowed for 4 seasons with it and its awesome. I did have air bags put in the front coils to protect the front suspension. We had to use wrangler air bags (80.00) and extent bump stops. I have a western lsx plow which is 7ft 2in, but I have a bunch off suspension mods for offroading. I would suggest you look at the blizzard 7ft plow. I think western replaced the lsx plow with a 7ft sport utility.