1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

************HELP ME ...PLEASE(fluid)

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 512high, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 512high

512high Senior Member

Greeting from NH!

we just had a good 6-7 inches of "cement" snow!, I noticed on my Ford-350, i have a Fisher minute mount(1st. generation?) 8 ft., plow. a "fluid"(hydrulic?) coming from the "lift cylinder"/pistion seems to beeing coming out around large nut area?

Plow still turns and lifts, any thoughts? is it a "bleeder" of some sort, when i stop the truck, that is where the pile sits!! Did i push too hard??

Thanks

Philip

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You may need to tighten up that packing nut. If its not pooring out, then I wouldn't worry about it until after your done plowing.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it coming out where the piston that lifts the plow is? Is the piston rusty or damaged? Sounds like your seal is gone. You might try tightening that nut a little to see if it helps.

4. 512high

512high Senior Member

Thanks !! you guys are quick! Yes it is the piston that "lifts" the plow, it is leaving a small trail down the piston, not gushing out etc. i will try to tighten packing nut, etc. **if the seal is "gone" easy to repair? or leave it to the pros...am some what good with tools, etc.

would the whole system have to be "bled"???

thanks

philip

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

lift ram seal kit. about 10 bucks i believe

6. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Only easy if that packing nut comes undone easily... Job is based on the difficulty on removing that large packing nut. It may be loose, it may be snug, or it it may be rustwelded like mine was.... I do have an older ram that is easy to spin. Either way, anti-sieze on re-assembly simpe job once that packing nut is loosened.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You really should get the proper size wrench for that. A pipe wrench can crush those cast nuts.

8. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Ummm..... you make how much plowing??? .....Buy a new piston.. (if you don't know what a gland nut is)... 2 pins and a hose is a little more mechaniclly inclinded back yard mechanic fix.. ( I only assume this from the question and answer..) and if you pay someone to replace the packing ..it would be less to have a new one..

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buying a new ram is probably your best bet. And you don't have to worry about bleeding, it will self bleed with use. Just check your fluid level after using it.

10. 512high

512high Senior Member

Thanks again to all that have replied to my leaky lift piston. I just spoke with fisher parts in NH, guy said to try to tighten "nut", if not just the seal, etc. he said it is easy to repair , mean time we might get another 3" 2day!(my 1999 Toyota tacoma with a fisher 6'9" plow is our back-up truck!

In the evnet the ford(one with problem) has to go out, do you advise to check fluid level? or is the amount coming out minimal? You guys are great! looks like a quite time here after today, might put in heated shop to try to tighten.......god help me!

11. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

yes, check your fluid level. If it's not leaking really bad don't make yourself crazy over it. Mine is leaking a little bit, and drifting down now slowly when i drive around. I am going to replace the lift ram seal kit, but i called three weeks ago to get one sent to me under warranty and it's still not here. hmmm... Make sure your packing nut is tight (it's bigger than a 2" wrench) use an 18" crescent or something. If not, it should be fine to get you through the storms.