1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Lowes, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I have A T-250 skid steer.
    A few questions
    1.) How will a tracked machine do with 3" snow? 3-6" snow, or 3" snow with mix of Ice?
    2. I have a 8.6 old western plow. I wanted to convert this for the skidsteer.
    But now I think a pusher would be much more productive.
    I was looking at http://www.kageinnovation.com/blogcategory/
    They list Boss, snow wolf, and Falls. I was hoping with a little modification I could weld on the hooks to the western blade.
    3. Has any one used the Kage system?
    4. How much do you charge for skid with 8' pusher, 10' pusher?

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

unless you change your tracks your machine will be worthless in the snow.

Stock bobcat tracks will not give you any traction in the snow.

J.

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I used a JD CT322 with two speed and a ten foot RSC compact pusher on my machine most of the time. It did ok but not great. The two speed really helped out because it really got the machine moving. Im going to try the Mcleran TDF tracks this year so I will let you know. The blades seem to work better on the track machine because it would clean a lot more off the surface then the pusher did. This year i am going to use a 8611 Blizzard plow. I like the Kage system and think it would be a good setup. I also like the bobcat 8 foot snow plow with thier end wing kit on it. Quick attach has the same thing for a little cheaper. The wings on it fold back on those also. The old blade you have would not be a bad idea plus put some wings or power scoop wings on it. My first blade was an old meyer with scoops on it and it worked great! Like I learned only use what you get paid for! Around where I live a 8 foot and a 10 foot on a skid steer get paid the same so using my 10 foot did not pay off I just did a lot more work then every one else. The one thing I will say is that you can stack a lot higher with the blade then a pusher do to the A frame. The pusher on the skid steer will only stach as high and as far as your quich attach plate will reach!

4. Mike S

Oh ya forgot to mention Im using a T180 now.

5. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Thanks for the info.
    Having the T250 I must make use of it in the winter. I would not trade a tracked machine for a wheel machine in the normal 9 month green season. I understand that catch 22 of any tracked machine. How many guys on this site plow with tracked machine?
    How much track spin can be expected from the T250?
    Another thought is just to leave the T250 at the salt pile and use it to load salt.
    Does the T180 push the 10 pusher ok?
    If so I would expect the heavier T250 to walk the 10' pusher.

6. Mike S

I got about $65-$80 out of a skid steer regardless of size. The S185 with the 10 foot did ok so with the new tracks it should be at least comparable. From my understanding the machines with the wider tharcks tend to spin more due to less psi. My friend has a 864 with 18 inch wide Bobcat tracks and he says he has problems with it spining.

What do you want a pusher or a blade?

If your a little worried then get a 10 foot compact pusher. Instead of it being 36 inches tall it is 30. It is also a little lighter. I have two of them and most machines will run them.

7. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

The main reason for the pusher would be to make use of the machine in the winter.
    I would be teaming up with other contractors to bid very large parking areas.
    "Iron" must be on site.
    $65-80 an hour for a 10' pusher sounds kind of low. I was hoping it would be more.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

what part of MO are you in?.

$65-80 sound's fine to me.....i raised my snow rates this year and still are not at that.

i am running CaT skid's in the dirt for $65 so i don't charge that much for the snow work. 'cause it's not as hard on machines and you get more hour's (tipacly)

the pusher would add a little $$$$ just because you can get more work done in an hour, but alot of times you have to run like crazy just to get done any way......so it's kind of up in the air????

PJ

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I use ASVs all year long. My RC50 with an 8ft box will out push a T300 with just a normal gp bucket in the snow any day. I have even seen mine do more than a way larger wheel machine.

I Get $70 for my RC50 and $80 for my PT80. Wether its in dirt or snow. This season I am modifing my boxes to have an independent float so I can keep more track power on the ground, and not waste power pushing a box. Works real neat, videos to follow.

J.

10. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Thanks to a sponser of this site I was looking at their push set up.
    http://www.sectionalplow.com/sectional-sno-plow/
    This looks like the perfect push plow. It really is cool setup.

I am located 90 miles SW of STL.
    This Sat I will go to Bobcat of STL to look at their 10' pusher.
    I'm leaning toward the Bobcat pusher as I was a contest winner in the Bobcat unleashed contest. And the 0% for 36 months helps with the purchase.
    I was second place winner, http://www.bobcat.com/our_company/conexpo/winners/current

My hourly rate for the skid with 80" tooth bucket is $75.
    My thought is with a 10' push I should much more productive.
    An hourly rate closer to $100.
    A truck does not start up for less than $90.

11. Mike S

Good job on the win! Last saturday I won the door prizer at a demo day at the local Bobcat store! $50 bobcat bucks! I was the only person that showed up, it was funny!

12. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

I hope to shake a few hands, and maybe get the price down on the 10' pusher.
    It's to bad it's not in stock. It's August but sure would like to have it in the garage.

13. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Has any used the Bobcat brand snow push?
    Who really makes the pusher for Bobcat?
    http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/snow_pusher

"Use the Bobcat snow pusher attachment to clear parking lots, driveways and building sites with speed and efficiency. The snow pusher is available in 8-foot and 10-foot widths to match your job and loader. It features a floating blade that oscillates left and right to follow ground contours. You can also over-ride these functions to keep blade position fixed when clearing hard-packed snow and ice. A standard rubber or dealer-installed polyurethane cutting edge is available."

Will the floating blade work to clear uneven lots?

14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Theres only so much you can do with a 10' straight edge on crappy lots. Thats were Arctics pusher rocks. If you get alot of wet heavy snow then temps that drop stay the hell away from rubber edges unless you have plenty of extra salt.
    I ran a 10' FSC plow last season and that rubber edge sucked in wet snow. I used the snow bucket more then once to clean up the hardpack it left behind.
    The rubber was king on powder though, you needed very little salt to get black when we had powder.

15. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

After spending a few hours at the road show at BobCat of STL I picked up a 10' pusher, cab enclosure, and two mounting plates.
    The pusher I'm sure will come in a few weeks. I'll sure get some pics up then.
    I bought two plates so I can still build two plows for a skid. There are plenty of old plows around to build a skid plow.

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Did you order new tracks?

If you didn't I am sure we will be hearing about it in a few months.

J.

17. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

No new tracks.

18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok If you still can. Get a 8' pusher. We have 2 bobcat pushers and a bunch of protechs in our fleet of subs. They are a really nice pusher. But both are being pushed by wheeled machine. We have a couple of tracked machines pushing for us. They all run 8' pushers. Some are T-250/300 others cat machines. The other problem with a 10' pusher its a pain to move. Because you have to load it on a trailer. Then taked it off with another machine. Where the 8' you can load up with the machine and make one trip.

19. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

The 10' pusher will sure be more of a pain to transport. The 8' can sure be loaded on the trailer. The 10' will sure be a pain to turn side ways on the trailer then load the skid on the rear. We have a 18' +5' deck over trailer to transport the T250 with. The T250 would be parked at one large complex during a storm.

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i see you have made your purchase so this is a little late but in your first post you asked about the KAGE. i ran one for the first time last year , it worked great!! i used it at a manufacturing plane w a gizzilion dock's . you are able to push all the open area's then detach the kage and backdrag the dock doors. another thing i found to be nice is that while pushing alot of snow you can angle the pusher to place the snow where you want if it's so heavy the macine looses traction and won't turn. i ran mine on a 9ft Boss skid steer plow w/ a trip edge. i live about 10 minutes from bobcat of st. louis and have looked at thier pusher many times. as i recall it was extremely expensive compared to what else is on the market. does yours have a rubber edge? trip edge? i seem to remember they came w/ a steel edge? 90 miles sw of stl...where does that put you?
    steve
    Ground Effects