1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow7899, Aug 13, 2008.

1. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I am looking for a spreader for our f650. We want to replace a f350, which we reload three to four times a storm. We want a hydraulic setup and a full stainless body. The truck will be strictly for salt and sand. No plow set-up. Thanks in advance.
  2. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

6 Yard Curtis
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i used to think "stainless only!" too but with the advent of FluidFilm and SALT-X etc. by the time a carbon spreader is rusted to peices so will the rest of the unit....so i'd say save some money(about half the cost, on a big spreader) and buy a carbon steel unit, and the hydraulic setup aint cheap expecially on a automatic.....uless you go with a underhood pump (and still is expensive) so depending on how much salt you need to carry, how about checking in to a big 4yd poly/electric? i think they may even make a bigger one now?

but if you are dead set on a SS unit....i think the curtis is a good way to go, or een a bigger Buyer's and save alot of $$$$$

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Our truck is an auto which has a pto for the dump bed. Can we tap into that and use a dual output flow control to operate the spreader? We have never used hydro before, but we want to make the most depenable unit for operators, other than guys that know what to do when there is a break down. We can't be everywhere at once.
    We have looked at Buyers, Swenson, Downeaster, and Airflow. We need about a 6 cu ft capacity. Did I overlook any one? Thanks for your help Brian.
  5. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

I have a henderson 5+ yard salter. It is stainless and have not had a problem with it!

It is mounted on a 4900 series international and has been a money maker.
  6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it mainly depends on what PTO and a little on what pump you have wether or not you can run a salter off of it

if you have something like a 135% PTO i would say no you probably better not

if you have something like a 110%or less it will be a little easier.....

you can use the 135% if you plumb it corectly and use a flow diverter and many many other things of trial and error......BUT yea it can be done

one thing to remember.......the state trucks (and many on here) have this type of set-up but they are not stop&go in a parking lot. so....when you come to a stop or slow down the PTO actually slow's also so even coverage may be a little difficult

i would recomend one of two things....either go with electric or gas (most simple) or go with a under hood BELT DRIVEN hydraulic pump.

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

We don't know alot about the truck. It was a left over that we stole. I'll take a look to find any paper work or ID tags on the pump. Thanks.