1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a plow for an '05 2500.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DocJohnson, Jan 18, 2009.

1. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Hey guys just picked up an '05 2500 quad cab with the hemi and was thinking of adding a plow to and put it on with my town next year with my other truck. First off, how do these newer generation Dodge's hold up to commercial plowing and the like. I will be the only driver, so I know it will be babied as much as possible. Second, what is the most bang for the buck in an 8' plow these days. I was thinking of going with a Curtis because they seem like alot of plow for shorter money. My buddy has a Meyer, and to be honest, I am not crazy about it and it was pretty pricey. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Cheaper Doesnt always mean better. Nor does expensive. I would check Craigslist for a decent used one. Plenty of Fisher MM2 on there. Boss Plows are not that expensive and I would get one of those over a Curtis. Not saying Curtis is bad. But in Eastern MA you should go with a plow that is easy to get parts for. Fishers are in Maine thats why they are so popular in this area

3. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Well, I was thinking of that, which brought me to Curtis. They have a plant in Central Mass I am told. How has your Dodge held up under plowing conditions

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Give me a call I have a nice used 8' Diamond Trip edge for your Dodge , It is COMPLETE with everything you will need!

508 753 6617

Jay

5. BigDave12768

Always plowed with Dodges. They are by far the best at plowing.Mine never has an issue. But I have the CTD. So I dont have that minor charging issue that some have. But so far most have found loose connections not alternator problems. Only thing I dont like about my truck plowing is my tires are messy. After I plow I watch my tires shooting little snow pellets out of them. But Dodges plow the best out of all the Pick ups

6. BigDave12768

A plant isnt a store you can quickly run down and get a part from.

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i love my 05, QC, Hemi....... plows perfect...... i have the 8 foot fisher HD blade.... As long as you don't try and be a cowboy these trucks and plows take a beating.....has just 36k miles on it....

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

The Curtis Factory store was once owned by Curtis manufacturing, but a year ago, the manufacturer sold out to a large investment firm, one of the Curtis boys took over the store but is just a dealer and no longer has deep rooted into the family corporation.

I can say from my observations, they are not carring the inventory at the store like they once did, they are busy and they are selling but the shelfs are not overflowing with parts.

Jay

9. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Jay, what are you asking for it?

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Ii have basically the same truck but I have the CTD. I am running a Western 9' Pro Plus with wings and a 1.5 yd. Salt Dogg Spreader. Love the set up and it is a work horse for sure.

11. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Any modifications to the frontend from stock. I was told that Dodge has weak front ends and trannies. Wow, if you hang a 9' er off it, it can't be to weak.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don;t sweat the tranny so much a- the older ones were prone to tranny issues, same with front ends. After 02 the front ends were redone a bit.

BTW Fisher is not only popular in New England because they are made here- They are popular because they were designed here for snow conditions prevalent here. New England snow is different from snow anywhere else in the country because of the coast, jet stream, and varied patterns of air flow.

13. GOAT ROPER

GOAT ROPER Junior Member

I've got an 04 2500 ctd with a BOSS 9'2'' v and an an 8' back blade.it has been on for 4 years with no mods at all. Don't worry man. We also run a 04 2500 Hemi with a 9'2" v and a SWING WING with no mods. I like Boss because they are made in Michigan and we have a great dealer only 20 miles away.

14. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Yeah, my 2500 is the HD and has the plow prep package, 3.73 gearing and the 5 speed auto tranny. It seems very rugged and strong.

15. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

The only mods to the front is Timbrens. I am running the stock tires as I was having power steering issues running oversized tires. Now no problems.

16. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

$2650 For the complete plow package,

It is a 8' Diamond with the EZ Mount Classic mounting system, Meyer Remanufactured E60H pump, done by a very reputable Meyer dealer, brand new cutting edge, brand new trip springs, all new truck side power wiring, new light modules, new headlamp wiring, solenoid , Joy stick controls, and 03-08 Dodge 2500/ 3500 mounts.

The plow is in excellent condition and will certainly make you an excellent addition to you Dodge.

the plow is located in Millbury, Ma. which is 20 minutes from you, just down thePike to Exit 11 and I'm right around the corner.

Jay
    508-753-6617

17. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well you asked about plowing for the municipality and i will tell you that I have an 04 2500 CTD with an 8' BOSS straight blade with the wings and I plow for the town of Salem, NH.

So far the truck works very well. The one thing I will just make a coment on is that when you go around corners while pushing that the rear tire likes to make a mess since it will ride into the snow bank you just pushed to the side.

I also run a set of snow tires on my truck as well and have not had a problem with traction or getting stuck.

The town's freightliner wing truck that plows the same route as me well thats a different story he get stuck all the time.

You also have to remember that the Dodge pickups have the tightest turning radius of all the full sizes so that will make it easier for you also.

18. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

I think the Diamond is a great plow i have a 8.5' on my truck with the Cummins. No problems with the truck, plow parts are pretty easy to come by dealer right up the road. Bought off Craigslist for $1000 look around for used. Plow for a company with western 8' ultramount plows they seem very light after running the Diamond

19. DocJohnson

DocJohnson Member

Yeah, I am gonna wait til the off season and look around. The best buys will prob come in the warm weather. A grand for a Diamond, wow that would be awesome to find a deal like that

20. premiereman

premiereman Junior Member

I would go with the Boss Vee 8.2. It performs well and it will last if you take care of it. i have had mine for 5 years on 3 different trucks. no problems yet.