1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me pick a new plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I currently have about 20 driveways and I sub myself out for parking lots. I've been using a rebuilt Meyer straight blade setup for the past 4 years or so. Its reliable and simple, but it sucks.....My 8' blade is a little large for some of my smaller driveways and it's not very productive on lots. My 7.5' blade works well on drives but is pathetic in lots. Changing blades throughout the storm isn't much of an option due to my route (and its a PITA)

I've seen the speedwing in action and was impressed. I assume the Prodigy is the same plow but in red. One of those would be good but might be too large to squeeze in my real nasty driveways.

So I'm thinking a V plow would work. When it's in scoop/V mode, it'd be shorter than or close to, my current 8' straight blade so it'll go well in the crappy driveways I have. It'll also hopefully be more productive in lots.

It'll be going on a 2004 Chevy 2500 reg cab long bed. I run about 1000lbs of counter weight in the rear with my current setup but can easily increase it if need be. I have various sizes of poured concrete cubes I chain down in the bed.

SO, I've been looking at the various V plows by Fisher, Boss, Western & Meyers. I'm not brand loyal, I'm looking for a reliable and affordable V plow. I don't plow quite enough to justify anything super high end and expensive. Which would you pick for me and why?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Have you considered installing a set of wings on you're 7.5ft blade? You said the smaller blade work great in tight drives. When you go to a parking lot put the wings on and now you're just over 9ft wide, low cost and improves productivity.

3. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

I thought about it.........It's time for some new iron

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ok.....
    I run a Boss DXT, went with it due to dual trip function, cylinder lift (no bounce on the road) and dealer support.
    If you're cost sensitive check out SnowDogg V plows, I've never been around them but several guys on PS run them.

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm new to the V plow route. Just got aa 8'2" Boss VTX and have not yet had the opportunity to move any snow. I will tell you that it is heavy but I was used to a 7'5" straight blade Snoway 26. Nice plow though and I'm looking forward to the coming winter snows.

6. Gman1200hd

Gman1200hd Member

Have you thought about a blizzard or western wide out ? I run a 8'6" mpv but seeing the expandable plows in action they look like they would be great choice narrow for driveways and wide for lots with a scoop function. The only time I use the v mode is busting big drifts or if someone needs a driveway opened up that hasn't been plowed for awhile.

7. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

yeah they're awesome. The one guy I plow with runs speedwings and power plows. They're the cats ass but prob will be out of my & range. If they're comparable to V's I'll think long and hard about one.

8. Gman1200hd

Gman1200hd Member

Have you looked on Craigslist in my area there are some used ones in good shape for around 3k and that is the same as most of the v plows are going for used.

9. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Find a snow dogg dealer near you and go check them out

1115141123.jpg

10. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

My partner always used straight blades, Bought 1 V plow to try and now has 2. A multi purpose snow plow and used them for parking lots and driveways. Pick a plow mfg by what is local, has the best reputation for service and who is open during a storm.

11. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have the same plow only poly so about 100 pounds heavier. I honestly can't tell I have a plow on the truck while just driving. That being said my plow truck is the same as yours 02 chevy Silverado 2500 reg cab with roughly 1000-1500 pounds in the bed. I went with the 8.2 because I have some accounts that have tight atm and drive through lanes and I can squeeze through well. I will be getting the wings for it as well soon for the bigger lots.

12. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

the local dealer carries everything except hiniker........I'm liking the controls on the Fisher & Western. I don't care much for the Boss controls. Being that Fisher & Western are pretty much the same, what's the difference between the Fisher Xtreme V and the Western MVP plus? I'm not currently looking too much at the Meyer V plow. Heard some back stuff about them.

13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Myers does have a 5 year warrant on their new plows.

14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Western is nearly identical to Fisher. Mount is different I think. Fisher tends to be a bit less money. An Xtreme V in the 8'6" size will be perfect for your needs. Get the Fisher wing kit for the lots, have a 10' plow there!

15. Moose's Mowing

from SE PA

Decided on an 8-6 MVP+ with the standard wings in steel with a deflector. Brought it home today, going to install tomorrow. Hope I like it. I'll post some pictures when its on. I really like the controller, that's what turned me off from Boss. Plow store guy said the same truck side will control any Western AND newer Blizzard plow. That surprised me that they're interchangeable but I guess it makes sense.

Prices I was quoted:
    Speedwing $4900
    Prodigy: $5400
    MVP3: $5400
    MVP+$5200
    Western 8' Straight was around $4200 I think she said. These prices were cash n carry with no install, but complete packages.

Thanks for your help

16. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

Boss, Hands down

Been running Boss for a long long long time, Looked at picking up a new plow this winter. Studied, studied, studied, really wanted to like that fisher wide out.
    And the winner issssssssss,
    Boss, V Plow, DXT, with stainless steel moldboard just for good looks. Duel trip edge, Great Dealership, Great Service. Loved the plows so much we picked up two of them. I know I was a little prejudice having three other Boss plows. But I really did give the others a fair shake because I was looking with my snow partner who runs Blizzard. Well he is the proud owner of the 2nd Stainless DXT we picked up. And he overanalyzes everything.
    We had our first 8 inches of heavy wet snow this week. Needless to say he is ecstatic with his new purchase.

17. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss DXT....

Snow Dogg has a lower cost V Plow but i know nothing about it...

If your doing parking lots, buy something that is going to last

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My new xv2 was giving me issues at the start of it's first plow...the left wing would drift back, even in 2 inches of snow...I was not happy..dealer said get down here, we will make it right, and I said I would when the storm was done. But in another 20 minutes, it came out of it. Now it holds firm. It is still wonky with the wings never moving at the same speed, but it preformed really well overall.

19. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

We have about 6 xv 1's in both 8.5 and 9.5
    just got a 9.5 xv2 and love it..used it for the first time this week in a 10" storm holds tons of snow in open lots when in the right positions.

20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like air in the hydro system