1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help me out here

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevboy74, Feb 26, 2002.

1. chevboy74

chevboy74 Junior Member

I just recieved a 1974 chevy suburban. I've got a 454 big block that I am going to re-build this summer. Besides air flow system, carb, headers, exhaust, performance pistons, high volume oil pumps, double roller timing chain set, chrome moly rings, high performance cam shaft, valves, and msd ignition. what esle should i do for better performance? Plus, i was wondering what you all think of body lift kits? since my truck is two wheel drive, suspension lifts cost up to 1200 dollars. So i was thinking about a 3in. body lift. what do you all think?
    thanks,
    Paul
    :confused:

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

There are a lot of questions you have to ask yourself: What are you going to use the truck for, what do you want from the motor as well as the purpose of the lift. If you just want bigger tires to cruise around town, go body. If you're going to use it off road, get suspension. The possibilities for that motor are endless. Pretty much the only factor is how much money you want to spend. For use in a pickup, I doubt you want a drag car motor that idles like **** needs premium fuel, and doesn't have enough vacuum to make your power brakes work. I'd keep the internals stock, maybe put a mild cam in it, with a matching intake. If your quadrajet is in good shape keep it, or get an edelbrock performer RPM q-jet. Headers and a good dual exhaust with crossover pipe to flow the gasses away should also be figured in. If the sky is the limit you can do all sorts of wild things with super high compression, and huge cams, blowers and nitros, but you start talking about a LOT of money, and not much drivability. Oh, and if you're going to leave the rest of the oiling system stock (pan ect) don't bother with a high volume pump, because all that will do is keep all your oil in the top end of your motor.

Marcus

3. blzn74

blzn74 Member

In My Opinion, If your planning to do all that stuff to the engine, to make it faster, you might want to lower your truck to make it handle better, I know that stock rims and tires handle the turns like crap, I would get some 18x8" or maybe even 20"s, I have a 78 chevy 2wd with Airbag suspension on 18x8" rims, Airbag suspension actually creates less axle wrap during burnouts and acceleration.= better traction.,not to mention your riding on air, it feel like your riding in a Cadilac.:D

4. bgblck 454

bgblck 454 Junior Member

i have a '70 454 in my '85 pick-up. i rebuilt it two years ago. a suggestion i have for you is to get some roller tip rockers. they cost a little more, but they add more horsepower. the drawback to these however, is that they do make a little noise compared to regular rockers. i also put a comp cam 224 degree cam in it. this is the duration at 0.050" this cam worked out excellent for me. it gives a lot of low-mid range power and also gives it that cool rough idle sound. some other advice i can offer is to check your valve guides. they are known to wear out, so make sure they are still good. as for exhaust, i reccomend flowmaster 50 series mufflers. they are pretty loud. they make the windows in my house rattle! they also sound good at idle. they are way better than glass packs that don't have any sound at idle. i agree with the carb issue. the quadrajets get pretty good gas mileage because of the small primaries, but they will also get up and go with their huge secondaries. before you start any of this, do some research. buy some books or call places like summit or paw and see what they say. you have many options with parts and price. the question is how much you want to spend. i dropped about $1000, and i pretty much replaced everything and gained a whole bunch of horsepower. shop around and good luck!!

~kurt
    keep the greasy side down!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2002
  5. chevboy74

chevboy74 Junior Member

thanks

thanks alot bgblck 454 that helped alot, i e-mailed you but with wrong name. i called myself burban, but that's a different forum. it really is from chevboy74. but if you could reply to it that would be awesome. thanks
    Paul:cool:

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Theo nly question i have is i s this a truck engine,or pass car?I dont like rectangular port 454's for heavy trucks,the round port truck engines are much stonger in the low end where we run trucks.For a car,the rect port is awesome.The 454 will make tons of torque,you might want a rev limiter,just in case,the 454 dont like to be spun to hard,without beefing up the bottom end.