1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Make Up My Mind

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 86burban, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Hi,

Ive gotten rid of my K5 and need a new truck. My K5 got hit when parked by a drunk so I wound up selling it and sold the plow seperately. Ive really been looking at the 2006 2500's that they have at some of the dealers around here. They are the standard cab long box with the 6.0 and a dealer installed Ultramount. they are asking ~27k.

Now, Ive been reading opinions of the 6.0, but I would like some overall opinions of the trucks themselves. I want to use it as a daily driver as well as my work truck. Is it a good idea to do that? I really dont care about the gas mileage, since I only work about 2 miles from home.

Thanks,

Tony

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Tony
    Thet are great trucks I am on my second one now, and love it. I also can get you a supplier discount if you decide you want a chevy or a gmc. It will save you some money, and will keep me working. I work for GM at the Pontaic MI truck plant where we build full size trucks.

Good Luck Mike

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I can get the supplier discount too. I work for Stanley tools. It sucks that Delphi is going under. It REALLY sucks that GM is having trouble too.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The supplier discount is a sweet deal. I used it on my 04 and it took 5K off the list price. The 6.0 is a strong motor and the trucks overall are IMO the best on the market. If we can help our GM UAW brothers and sisters out by buying, its a win win situation.

5. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

How much more for the DuraMax? :)

6. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Hmmmm....... 3.04 per gallon for diesel, or 2.24 for gas. Easy choice.

I heard the 6.0 is a monster. Any truth to this? How are the trannies? Hopefully not like the 700R4 use to be

7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Great truck. I am not sure what a K5 is (1/2ton?) but just the jump from an 86 to an 06 is a world of difference. 4L80e trans is real strong. 6.0L is more powerful than even the big block from 86. $27K with plow seems like a great price for a new truck. 03 to 06 are pretty much the same. Maybe flykelly can give more insite but I thing there are major changes coming for the 2007s.

8. flykelley

Calhoun
    HUGE changes for 07. It's a whole new platform, new sheet metal, have not heard anything about drivetrain yet. Hope they don't mess with the drivetrain that engine tran setup with thw snowplow prep is out of this world.

Regards Mike

9. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

My truck was made at the pontiac plant. I have a ? as far as the bodies are the bodies still made by Fisher and where does the final alignment of panels take place. the reason I ask is because my 05 leftover I just picked up the passenger side door hinge is fubar and the door lines up like crap. and the drivers side is mint. what kind of gap are you seeing between the windshield and the door when closed??? the dealer already took two tries to fix it and its still broken. the GM rep need to come down and look at it before they actually replace the hinges.

10. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Absolutely best of the big 3 with a great plow...

Hi Tony!

I Don't work for GM/UAW and I've owned them all and love them all. IMHO:

- The 6.0 LS1/2 is the best small block out of the big 3 hands down. GM is very conservative with HP/torque figures, you're surely gonna get more oomph than GM says you do!
    - The 4L80 auto trans is the best trans hands down. The other mfrs are toads.
    - The GM IFS front end is as strong as the others AAM and Dana 60 straight axles.
    - Just because the GM torsion bar front end does not handle the plow as gracefully as the Ford/Dodge does not make it weak. Ride is 200 per cent better than any other truck and a $150 pair of timbrens cures the problem.
    - The rearend is the same AAM that is in the Dodge and as good as the Ford/Sterling
    - Transfer case is the same as the Dodge and better than Ford's BW...
    - The GM truck is sized right - big and HD without being clumsy.
    - GM's quality/fit/finish are the best of the big 3 nowadays. World Class!
    - That Western ultramount is a winner; best designed plow, least complex plow and easiest/quickest mount on the market. Plenty strong without excess weight. Hope it's a pro and not a standard though...

In a nutshell you can't go wrong! the plow is worth about $3400-4 grand installed nowadays. $24K for the truck is a good price, dunno how much less than that dealers are going with the red tag promo and at least a bit of a winter/plow truck market.

I'm beating up GM dealers as we speak on a stick version of the same truck and I hope to get a chunk below red tag promo....

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hit before you bought it???

JMHO i'd look real close at the bodywork and make sure your truck wasn't hit/repaired before you bought it. I can't count on 2 hands and 2 feet the number of "new" trucks I've seen for sale that had body damage on the lot (like when salespeople use them to plow) that was repaired and passed off for new. Illegal yes, uncommon no! :(

12. flykelley

The gap at the windshield should be around 1/4 or less. Try this test take a dollar bill and shut half of it in the door at the top. If you can pull it out easy then they need to refit that door. The gap should be pretty much the same all the way down the door and fender around 1/8 to 1/4. It should not be bigger at the top than the bottom of the door. If the dealer can't get it right then you need to go to a new dealer. There is very little adjustment on these doors and fender, you can twick the hinge a little but not much. I have a wind noise on my drivers door and went and talk to the door fitters and he told me at 70 mph the top of the door will move away from the cab, but the gap should be at 1/8 inch and no more than 1/4 if it is bigger than that it needs to be refit.

Regards Mike

13. oldsw-31

oldsw-31 Member
    from mass

When I looked at the truck it did have a little scratch on the rear passenger fender flare. they replaced the flare. upon closer inspection it appeared the door was forced open further that it should had been. this would have caused the hinge to be sprung. I removed the door check and seems to be functioning correctly. The actual hardstops on the hinge wasnt even hitting. the dealer put new pins and bushings in the hinge and pursaded the hardstops so they atleast hit something. I test drove the truck with 34 miles on it. In the glove box I did find a map quest print out from another dealership approx 30 miles away in Nov. Now somewhere along the lines the hinge was stressed. Now the service manager claims the truck is fixed after 2 tries and he said since there was a new hinge bushing kit installed that what I was complaining about was to be expected excess gap between thre door and windshield, up and down play. and the door was still opening further than it shopuld. I asked to see the GM TSB for his claim and showed me an installation instructions. I was pretty ripped i threw it right in his face. I think every customer in the service area heard me as well. the service writer agreed with me in saying its not normal as he looked at 8 other truck on the lot and no showed these symptoms. I asked to have a GM rep come down and look at it. I called the GM customer service, filed a complaint. Also spoke to the sales manager and he was going to talk to the dealers service and parts director the guy above the service manager. I called him back 2 day later and according to him it was his understanding that the GM rep was going to look at it then authorize the repair since it entails replacing both hinge assemblys and paint and refinsh the jam area. when you buy something new you dont inspect each part of the vehicle expecting to find damage but perhaps we should.

14. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Dude everything said here iwas true. You won't be dissapointed by a new chevy/GMC. They are the best "well rounded" pakage by the big 3