1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me identify this western plow......

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I am looking into buying this plow. It was bought by the owner to go with a plow frame that was already on his truck. Someone has removed the angling cylinders so I'll have to replace them. He said there are 2 springs on the back that he remembered. The plow is 7'6", he seems very sure that it's a western plow. Also, he said the plow has a bad rubber edge right now, can i putt steel on? Thanks, phillip

plow.jpg

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Can you get a better picture... maybe stand it up?? the frame does not look like a western to me... but then again I have not seen every style western out there... How much is he asking... How about a picture of the truck mount that might help...If it is just the plow you are going to need a lot of other stuff... By the looks of it it appears to be an old conventional set up so that means you will need the complete truck side mount including a light tower, pump, lights, valves, controls, hoses....

3. Kentuckydiesel

I e-mailed him early this morning to ask him for another picture. Haven't recieved one yet. He said he doesn't know what the truck side mount is, but i'm pretty sure it's not western. I'm thinking it's meyer or Polar (which is a manufacturer which made a similar setup according to Crash935). The guy bought the plow to go on the mount which was already on his truck. He never used it because the plow didn't have angle cylinders (they had been removed) and the plow needs a new edge (bad rubber one). I'll attach a picture of the truck side but keep in mind that while it does fit, it was already on the truck when the plow was purchased seperately. BTW, that is an underhood monarch pump laying on the ground in the background. Mabey the mount is western and someone added the monarch pump and cylinder later? He wants $300 for the whole setup, and it will bolt right on to my truck. Plus, i wouldn't mind having the bumper to replace my pipe bumper. It'll cost me almost $200 in fuel to go get it.
    -Phillip

plow-truckside.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  4. Kentuckydiesel

I just looked at western's part diagrams and this looks to be a conventional plow with a short A-frame. Also, the plow mount looks to be western but the lift cylinder has me confused. I think someone pulled it off of a Meyers or Polar frame and put it on this western setup to replace the western cable pump. Does that all sound right? Thanks, Phillip

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The more I look at that plow it looks like an Arctic Plow... to a google search for there web site I think you will agree on it make after you look at their frames and light assemblies...

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That could be a Western or Polar, Polar used the monarch pump under the hood and thats what the pump looks like in the picture, there wasnt a differance in the blade or mount assy between the 2. Best i could figure out was that monarch was buying western parts (moldboard painted orange) and using their own power unit instead of the cable controlled western. I'm still running a Polar that was new in 88 to this day and have only had to rebuild the pump and motor once.

7. Kentuckydiesel

I found this arctic plow for sale on ebay. It looks like the same mount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...Z6219QQitemZ4597450628QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I wonder if the plow is western?

8. timberjack

timberjack Member

Philip, is this going on the truck you converted to a dually? I recognized your handle from thedieselstop. :waving:

Sounds like a good deal, but i'm not sure you'd be happy with a 7-1/2 footer. I suppose you could rig up some wings on it.

I had a 9' Western unimount on my 88 F350 for the last 8 years. I sold it and replaced it with a new 8-1/2 Ultramount on my 95 F250 PSD this fall. We finally got a snowfall that i could use it today, and i must say, i miss the 9 footer already. I'll get used to the new one soon enough, but i know a 7.5' once it's angled will barely be wider than your front end, maybe not even. It defineately won't be wide enough to keep your outer rear wheels out of the snow falloff.

Just another thought.
    Ken

9. Kentuckydiesel

That truck was always a dually, Ii converted it to 4x4 so it's a real 4x4 dually, not just a 4x4 truck with adapters bolted on.:nod: :D Anyhoow, no not going on the ford, I like it too much to plow with it.

This would be going on my old '79 dodge. It is 7'6" wide at the front tires so no, a 7'6" plow won't be enough by itself, but I want wings. With that in mind I figure 7'6" would be perfect because the wings add like 20" making the plow like 9'2", right? After a considerable amount of plowing with my grandfather's '84 F250 and 7'6" western plow, I really wished it had something to hold more snow, I hate going back to clean up the 2" wide strip of snow that ran off the end of the blade in a really deep snow when I'm pushing into piles. Sound like a plan????:drinkup:

-Phillip