1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me identify my old Red T-handle Controller

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Colonel Monk, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

Howdy

I posted in "repairs" that I had broken my T-Handle. The control cavity was full of ice, and I was impatient and snapped off the T-Handle. I took it apart today.

What "model" is this controller? It's the one with red cables.

I'd like to try and find some parts for it, but as there's no manuals for controller like this from the late 70's on Western website I'm having trouble finding what I need.

Thanks,

CM

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your description is too vague. What kind of plow is it? A conventional with cable controls? Where is this T handle? Is it in the cab on the joystick???? There is no T handle that I have ever seen on a Western uni or ultra. Perhaps you could post a photo?

3. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

It's not too vague, it's just before your time.

This model controller is one generation before the black cable joystick that came out in 1981. Used the same Isarmatic pump unit. Also, one generation earlier than the earliest manual on western's site right now.

I should have been able to find a model no by now, but haven't.

4. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You are correct, this is before my time. But don't give up, there are a few old timers on here that have parts for the pre-historic units.....

6. Craigw

Craigw Junior Member

Colonel, this might be your lucky day! I removed one of these from a truck a few years ago, and it's been moving from one shelf to another since then. I just checked it and everything works, could use some oil. Everything is there, including a mounting bracket.

I tried to upload a photo but that's not working now, but I'm sure its the same one. Cables are black, the box is red. You may have it for the price of shipping. Send me your address or phone or something if you want it. I am in South Dakota, so if I send it Mon- Tues you should have it after the holidays. Can do 2nd day, but there is no such thing as overnight from here. Post office works best.

Let me know if you are interested.

7. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

Hi Craig:

Awesome, I am interested! I'm sending you a PM just now.

C. Monk

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

your best bet colonel is to just buy the black joystick complete with cables. not only will it work on your pre 81 pump it's not a pita to work on either. so much simpler than the t handle

9. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

I hear ya. But don't want to pay for it if I don't have to. Sounds like Craig and I might have a deal.

I'm not too worried about working on it, true, it's a convoluted design but I have no problems putting it back together again. Will see if it's the right one and go from there.

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

certainly can't blame you there Thumbs Up

11. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

Sounds like we have a deal. Deal, heck - He's sending me the unit and all I have to pay is for the shipping!!

Thanks alot Craig, you're awesome. We'll keep this Jeep a-plowin - it's been plowing for 33 years now.

12. Craigw

Craigw Junior Member

She's all packed and ready to go. Hope for not much show until it arrives. The cables do need some lube.
    33 years! How much duct tape in on that beast?

C.

13. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Member

Not enough. I think maybe it can do a few more years, but it's nearly more outside than inside it seems... You want to talk about holey....