1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me get started in Boston

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by TJ_with_Tusks, Oct 18, 2005.

1. TJ_with_Tusks

TJ_with_Tusks Junior Member
    from Boston

I'm putting a Meyer 6.5 on my Jeep TJ soon. I am a college student, but want to start plowing to earn some money. I'm planning on only pusing driveways. I don't was a commercial business, just a word of mouth type thing. Maybe plow my lardlord properties and some others. I need some advice on how to get started.

How many driveways should I have on my route?

Should I do a "plow on call" thing, where people call and I go to clear the driveway, or try to have a set # of people I do every storm?

Even though I'm not doing this commercially, I think I should setup a contract for property owners to sign. I don't need to get sued if I tear up the grass ...ect. Any other advice is appreicated.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a tip. Everything you say indicates a commercial operation (accepting pay for service). If you've got contract, you had better have insurance. That's all the proof they need that you are in business.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

And having a business means having a Tax ID number, paying taxes on your income, proper insurance...etc...etc...

As someone else stated in another post... Snowplowing is not a cheap business to be in... when you factor in all of your costs you have to make a high $$ per hour to make money...

For example say you get a used plow set up for your Jeep.. $1500 and insurance is say $2000 for 1 million in liability(a guess.. most likely more for Boston)...

Now you stated you are a college student so that will limit the amount you can take on and still give reasonable service. Say you can devote 3 hours to plowing... at an average of 5 minutes to clear a driveway, 5 minutes to travel between driveways, gives you roughly 18 driveways... now figure average cost of $20 per driveway(just a guess)... give you $360 per storm, take out $50 for gas gives you $310 left over to cover you expenses...it will take you roughly 11 storms to cover you expenses before you even make any money...