1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me figure this out....unimount questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Feb 15, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Ok, to start this off it is going to be a bit lengthy I apologize in advance.

So I decided I wanted to put a plow on my truck this year and started looking for deals on used plows. Came across a deal on a used unimount plow that was complete with a mount and the wiring. Looked it all over and made a deal on the price of it and bought it. The only problem with it being complete was that it had a mount for a Ford F250 and I drive a Chevy K1500. No biggie I thought i'll just pick one up on craiglist. Sure enough I found the mount I needed western part no 1545 for the '88-'94 trucks.

Mount was in great shape and was only missing the formed supports for the driver and curbside. No big deal I thought. I did some searching online for part no 62228 and 62229 and couldn't find anywhere that I could order these parts, I began to get discouraged until I stumbled upon this page
    http://www.centralparts.com/Products-801-900.aspx
    which if you find part no 62228 and 62229 they state that they are super-ceded by part no 62480 and part no 62481, so I thought ok that explains why I can't find them they've been replaced by a new part no. I do some more looking around CPW and see that they pretty much have all the other odds and ends I need to get this plow up and running(link arms, light adapter, hitch pins, and nut bars). I go ahead and place my order with CPW and today I get everything I ordered except the nut bars which are on backorder :(. I take the support brackets and try and match them up with the mount to make sure they are correct fit and everything and I can't seem to make them fit. I decide to get on the computer and pull up the installation instructions from western's website. First I pull up the install instructions for the mount I have #1545 located here:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/13591_111894.pdf
    and then I pull up the newer style unimount #1585 for the '88-'98 chevy trucks located here
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/13681_103103.pdf

Well as my luck would have it part no 62480 and 62481 are the formed supports for the newer style mount, which if you look at the two mounts they are nothing a like:confused::confused:

So now I'm confused on what to do. Why does CPW say the old formed supports were super-ceded by the new part no's when they don't look like work with the older style mount. My other question is if they don't fit and I can't find the old supports by part no. what am I supposed to do to get the parts? Or better yet how necessary are the formed supports? From the install instructions it looks like they are there to tie the bumper brackets into the plow mount and then into the frame rails. Can I get away without using them? I want the mount to be as structurally sound as possible but I've hit a crossroad here with these formed supports that I ordered.

I'm hoping someone who installs western plows for a living will be able to chime in with some advice or an answer but anybody who has any suggestions feel free to chime in. I was really hoping to get this plow installed this thursday but with all these setbacks who knows if I'll ever get this thing installed :mad:

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The earlier mount sat on the inside of the frame horns and the formed brackets wraped around the outside to help from the mount pulling the seam weld apart at the bottom of the frame horns .

The later style formed brackets (62480 & 62481) do the exact same thing except they bolt to the plow frame lower and still use the same bumper bolts. 62480 & 62481 will not help you any ( guess you already found that out.)

I would be concerned on having some support like 62482, 62517 (for trucks with frame mounted P/S cooler) or 62483 in the second link you provided , they will provide the support you need so the plow frame dosen't pull the seam out of the frame horns. As I said , the basic reason for these brackets , no matter which ones you use , is to prevent the plow frame which is bolted to the bottom of the frame horns from pulling the "seam" out of the frame horns. I you look closely at the frame horns you will see what I mean.

Make sense?

HTH

TOM

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks for the response, it kinda makes sense but I'm still a little confused. Are you saying that in order to make 62480 & 62481 work with my older style mount that I need part no 62482 & 62483?? Or are you saying I just need 62482 & 62483 in order to get my older mount to work? Oh and btw nasty-z are you a member on GMT400 I feel like i've seen your truck on there.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i might be able to scrounge up a pair. let me look in the morning.

5. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

You would be my hero!!!!! :) :) :) Hey while your at it you wouldn't happen to have the nut bars part no 61433?? I ordered some but they are on back order from western and I'm not sure when I'll see them. More importantly though, if you have the correct support brackets I would be indebted to you greatly. PM or reply on here tomorrow and let me know thanks

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I would use 62482(or 62517) and 62483 with your frame , it will work fine . Send 62480 and 62481 back , they will do you no good.

If No Lead cannot hook you up with the correct plates let me know , I am almost sure I have some of the earlier plates in the shop , finding them would be a different story though.

Yes , I am on FSC , GMT400 an a host of others , the truck (and most of my other toys) can be seen in various stages of completion on many........:laughing:

TOM

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually you can have the form plates made.I believe the metal is only 3/16 flat stock 4" wide x 8" high..
    As for the nut bar, I just had a set made.. 1/4 x 31/2 x 8". threaded 1/2

A couple of week ago I notice my plow lights were shooting downward.. I re-adjust the lights. Two day later same thing happen again..Look under the truck, and the plow mount tore the rail seam apart. Come to find out, who ever had the truck and plow before me never install the "form plates" on to the rails.. So I had the rail repair and new nut bars made at the same time.. I am in the process of making the forms.. Like I said there only 3/16 flat stock.

If No lead or Nasty-Z has them, great..If not, if you know a welder (or even yourself) have him bend you up a set, and make the nut bar as well..

Make sure you put the nut bar in the rails, and the forms as well or you will end with the same problem I had..

If that plow drops and the plow mount while your going down the road, you will have a hell of a flip..

form.jpg

form.jpg

8. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

OK, hopefully one of you two have the correct plates I need I really don't feel like cobbing this together and I'm a bit skeptical on using those aforementioned parts because I don't see how they would mate up with my mount but anyways I appreciate all the help and will let you know if I need those plates from you.

***EDIT**** Just saw your post twinman thanks for the info, I was thinking I could do that as my last resort and just have a fabricator custom make the stuff. As far as the nutbars go I almost thought about drilling out the ones that were used for the tow hook and tapping them but I was sure how well that would actually work.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said, cheaper to have them made..There only 3 1/2 wide, and I made my 8" long because of the slot in the rail..Just measure the old ones for the length, that what I did.. Matter of fact, I had two of the bolts out of one plate, so I stuck a white pencil inside the hole and drew the circle and drill the holed out.. In other words use the old nut bar as a temple.. Easy man, not hard at all..I just made my 3 1/2 wide to fit inside the rail snug...

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

no luck on my end.

11. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Well thanks for looking

12. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I have a set. P/M me or give me a call.

TOM