1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me decide..!!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Malakas82, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

Ok im looking for a spreader for my truck and i ran across 2 of them for sale....one is a western pro flow complete with harness and control for $500 and the other is a snow ex 575 complete with harness and control with vibrator for $300...what should i go with???

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd go with the Western Pro Flo 2, you'll have less feed issue's with damp material and sand.

3. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

Its the pro flo...not the pro flo 2

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

D'oh........Then I'd go with the Snow Ex, I run a Meyer S350 which I believe is pretty similar and it works very well providing the material isn't too damp. I run a 70/30 sand/salt mix through it without any problems.

5. highclimber604

highclimber604 Junior Member

need the vibrator. you don't want to be messing around with a clogged spreader. Ive heard good things about SNOW EX. What types of accounts do you have??

6. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

Commercial and residential....but for the commercial we have large vbox spreaders..i need something for the driveways and small lots

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For the money and the size of stuff you're talking about the Snow Ex would do well.
    It's the same money for a decent walk behind spreader....

8. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

ok sounds good..thanks..another quick question for ya...how do you go about pricing salt for driveways.?..i know with our commercial acounts my business partner adds the price of the bulk to the amount billed, but for driveways im clueless...we havent done any yet

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I charge 4x the cost of the material for my commerical accounts and have minimum fee for resi's. Most of my resi's that want salt are small 2 car wide driveways (600sq feet) and about 30ft of side walk and they get the $10.00 minimum fee.

Also keep in mind my area people aren't salt crazy and we get a lot of melt off from sunshine. I typically only salt on north sides of buildings, it's really cold or when we're not getting any sun for a day or so.

It seems in the mid west and north east salt is used much more than we use in the west. We also don't have ice or freezing rain events out here either.

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Deicing

Deicing is never worth it to the consumer until someone falls or they slide into the house or garage. THEN ------ Damn, why didn't you put down enough deicer? LOL

11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Snowex

You won't go wrong with the 575. Awesome spreader and will be dependable. At that price its a steal.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah no kidding, but them always seems to have an opinion about how much it tracks into there house regardless.......:dizzy::dizzy:

13. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

So I picked up the snow ex 575...helped the guy take it off his truck and all the wires...we tested everything out and it worked...he let me walk away with it for 225....

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Nice score.........any pics?
    Now you have some extra cash to throw a couple lights on it so you can see the material as it comes out, also you may want to consider a license plate holder/light on it to keep the law happy. I also stuck some DOT reflective tape on mine so it's more visible to traffic.

15. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

Ill try to get a pic on here this weekened for you guys...i am going to freshen up the paint on the frame and add some work lights...the reflective tape is also a good idea