1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help me decide on new truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by david-nh, Feb 21, 2003.

1. david-nh

david-nh Member

hello all i will be looking at a new truck this weekend i think a 03 2500 with a 5.7 liter and snowprep package with a 8 foot fisher minute mount two. they have reg cabs and quad cabs. i dont tow anything and i will be only plowing a few home driveways nothing major. would this be a good setup for me / any information or advice would be great thanks all/ david n.h.

2. 2003DodgeRam2500

2003DodgeRam2500 Junior Member

New truck

I just bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 With a western 7 1/2' plow.It plows great and pushes all kinds of snow real good.The 5.7 Hemi is a great motor thats what i have in mine.The only thing i have a gripe about is when you have snow on the roof and you clean it off it gets stuck in between the door and the sill.When you open the door up it puts snow on your seat and on the door panel.I love my truck and would not trare it for anything.Well maybe a diesel.I hope i gave ya some good info on the truck.If you have any questions e-mail me and we can talk there.Good Luck on the truck.
    Steve:waving:

3. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I too have an '03 2500 with a diesel and a 8' Fisher. If you are buying a 3/4 ton truck I suggest an 8' plow. You may be only be doing a few driveways now but before you know you could get bigger and you will be happy you bought the 8' plow. The hemi is a powerful V-8 gas engine but if money is not to tight I suggest you consider the Cummins. Do a search on gas vs. diesel as this was just discussed about a week ago and theres alot of compelling evidence in the diesels favor.

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree go with atleast an 8' plow, and if your able to fit it in your budget definitly go for the Cummins you'll love it.

5. 2003DodgeRam2500

2003DodgeRam2500 Junior Member

The diesel was a $6000.00 option around here.I got a good deal on the gas.$30,000.00 for the truck and plow. :)

6. david-nh

david-nh Member

prices on 2003 2500

hello all well i have started getting prices yesterday on a new 2003 2500 with a hemi so i got a price on the reg cab with the sport ect and a plow prep package 31.800 and today iam going to look at another one a 2003 quad cab loaded with the snowprep as well see what price i get and then thursday will be the last delaership i go to they are allready starting to try and beat the other guys prices which is ok with me hahha well i will let all know what i end up with. david/ n.h.:)

7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

David-nh, In today's truck market there is no need to haggle with dealers. What you need to do is go to http://kbb.com/ and go to the upper left to "build vehicle" go through the steps and build the exact truck you want. This site will give you both retail and invoice price for this vehicle *note- this invoice price does not include dealer advertising cost which can be $300-500 depending on location so just add that in.

I paid $300 dollars over invoice on my new truck which I will pick up on Friday. My new truck is a 2500 SLT with a High Output Cummins, Auto tranny, snowplow prep, trailer tow with power tow mirrors, premium power seat,limited slip axle, sliding rear window, upgraded tires, hood protection shield, keyless entry, fog lights, and bodyside mouldings. I paid around $33,500. I say this because the quote of $31,800 that you got on a gas truck seems high unless that also included a new plow on the truck.

Also, any rebates offered come off the invoice price. I qualified for $1800 in rebates. So really I paid around $31,700 for my truck which is $100 cheaper than your gas truck.

Don't let the dealer screw you, go to the above mentioned site and get the real numbers before you go to another dealership

8. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

All right, I was bored so I built you a truck. The truck has all the stuff mine has above except I spec'd a Hemi/auto with the sport package.

Invoice is around $30,400
    Rebate is $1500 cash back so figure $28,900
    add advertising and give dealer $300 profit so add $800 at the most.
    total=$29,700 is around what you should pay.

Also, if you want an on the lot vehicle just get all the options off the window sticker go home and do the same thing to get dealer invoice. However I have found if you tell them what your doing they will just cave-in and show you there invoice to stop wasting time.

Good Luck,

9. david-nh

david-nh Member

took aa loook at a few 2500/hemis

hello all, well i went to two dealerships yesterday looked at a quad and a reg cab 2500hd both with hemis well i will be buying one for sure but i may wait a bit maybe summer to see if dodge comes out with a better program. right now they have 1500 rebate hoping a better program comes out in a few months rates ect i also took one for a drive niceeeee and it sure does ride like a truck. my 2002 dakota rides like a caddy compared to the 2500 lol but hey i wont be buying it for the ride i think i like the reg cab a little more well thanks agin everyone for all the helpfull information ect you have given me and iam glad i found his web sight its greattttttttttt / david n.h.