1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me cover my assets

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Groundbreaker, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Groundbreaker

Groundbreaker Junior Member

I'm putting together a small plowing service for residential and comm. ( a gas station or two, ect.) Not sure if I should go sole prop., LLC or what . Any real life suggetion welcomed. Thank you.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

If I was you, I would check with an attorney in your area.

They would know the best way for you particular situation.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat, small business. I'm set-up as a Sole Proprietorship. It's easier come tax time, and not as expensive. The important thing to remember is to get the proper insurance. It would be a good idea to check with an attorney though... just to be on the safe side.

-Tim

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We were a SP for 10 yrs, and as of 1-01-01 we are an LLC. Why to help protect our personal assets. We did use an attorney, but most states will allow you to set up the LLC for less than $ 100.00
    I think some shy away from LLC because they may percieve a higher level of prtection from a INC. However I see some very high profile businesses using the LLC, so I think it is pretty secure.
    As far as tax purposes, an LLC is the most simple for of a corp to handle tax wise.
    Dino

5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I am just sorta going through the startup part of plowing even though I have been in lawn care. I would like to stress what others said about insurance. If you have the right insur. you should be ok. I myself am still sole prop. for tax reasons but will eventually incorporate.