1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a plow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPS Alberta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

I know there are a million "help me choose a plow" threads but bear with me!!!!

Im having a hell of a time finding a plow for our F350 crewcab diesel... been having issues with the front gawr being too low.

Anyways, I have found some that will work. It is between the meyer 8.5 lot pro, the blizzard HD8600, or the 8.5' Snoway contractor Series, or the Arctic HD102S.

Anyone have experience with these and know what the benefits/disadvantages are to each? Ive been comparing them and they all seem similar spec wise.

I will be doing a fair amount or residential backdragging..not sure if that will affect your answer.

The blizzard is significantly cheaper, but I will be plowing commercial lots so I want something strong and reliable, with good customer service, easy of use, easy to attach/unattach, etc

2. snowpushn420

snowpushn420 Junior Member

Depends on the year but I know the early SD's had a single wheel 350 with the dana 50 front while later on the singles got the 60 while the DRW always had it.. Need some more specs on you truck to answer fully... I would'nt be so concerned with front GVWR as I would proper ballast and either heavier coils, '05 '07 or more leaves '99 '04... I have firestone bags on my old TTB ford and they work great.. You wont be the only one "overloading" your front axle on a TD equipped ford..

3. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Its a 2008 F350 SRW with the 6.4 Diesel... GVWR is min 6000 for a western/fisher plow but my front axle is rated for 5600 only. Its only a 400 lb difference, and apparently since it is a crewcab they take into account 4 passengers weighing 250 lbs each...obviously I would be plowing alone so this doesnt even matter. Im not too concerned being 400lbs over anyways as gawr are pretty conservative.

My only concern is for getting it installed...not of the installers will touch it if its over the recommended rating. Meyer, Snoway, and Blizzard are apparently fine, and I think arctic is as well. Fisher and Western say its too heavy so noone will install it.

4. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Also, it will be to mainly plow small-medium commercial lots. I will also use it for heavy snowfalls to clear out residential drives, so I will be backdragging a fair bit, like i said.

5. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we run a lot of blizzards and they have taken a beating and held up quite well, not sure about the others but i dont think durability will be a prob with the blizzards. good luck

6. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

oh forgot about the backdragging thing, they dont back drag very nice, so depends on how much backdragging you are looking at. they tend to scape about a foot or two and then start floating up on the hard pack when back dragging.

7. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

id say pick the brand that you want and has the best dealer support. then have them install the frame and harness tell them your getting a used plow then do a cash and carry on the plow you want, on that big of a truck id run nothing smaller then a 8'

8. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

What do you mean by this? Whats a cash and carry? lol

9. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

ok lets use western plows as that what i use and know, the dealers here would tell you to run a 7.6 pro plow, witch is small light and you would be under your 5600. you go to your dealer say i want the frame and harness installed on my truck but im getting a used plow. then after they install the frame and harness you go back to that dealer and get an 8' proplus witch is a big heavy duty plow mean to take a beating, you pay for the plow on a different invoice and and carry it thus the plow dealer has no blame on their shoulders. just dont crash your truck with the plow on and you will be fine.

10. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

also if you truck does not have plow prep you may want to look into changing the cooling fan clutch as that is the only other thing that is different. from what i read if you dont change to the plow prep fan clutch the fan can spin backwards pulling heat into your motor and trans and cause problems.

11. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Ohhhhhhh I gotcha! Very clever sir! haha... I may have to try that if I decide to go with western or fisher! Yeah I have looked into the fan clutch thing already.

Ill have to see if anyone will give me advice on which plow and go from there!

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

good to see another Albertan on here, i would like to see what prices you are getting up there. Here in Lethbridge, we only have a Hiniker supplier, and i think their prices are a little high.

13. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

do you have any experience with the hiniker? I might end up with one of those but Im not sure...cant decide! I really want a boss but wont work on my truck