1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a light for plowing.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

After reading the thread on lights i didn't want to add this and hijack the thread so hears a new one. I don't have any accounts yet but i'm working on it. I'd like to start simple. If i can find it I know i have a cheap radio shack amber rotating light but I don't think it's water proof.

Can any one recommend a very inexpensive light for a first timer? I'd like to stay under $80 if i can. Are there and decent $40-50 lights? I was thinking of installing cab lights and putting strobe led's in them.

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Playboy,
    Check with nancy at Strobesupply. You can pm her with your needs, her user name is Strobesupply. You can also check eBay, there are plenty of lights on there. Good Luck BOAST pumpkin:

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If you want a cheap light that will work they make $20 amber rotator that gives you like 90fpm you can buy on ebay or from places like AW Direct.

4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Lights

I would suggest doing business with a fellow member of plowsite FIRST,

But if you still need more information, check these out:

For less than $20 you can get The teardrop light that a lot of people use.

I have this one, which is what a lot of the guys here use: The Target Tech Highlighter

Those cheapy ones you see at wal-mart, or even the first one I listed, are low wattage bulbs and not very bright.

This doesn't seem too bad, but I haven't seen it in action: From Big Country Supply

Glen

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  5. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have Brand new Federal Siganl Amber model 100 fast speed(175 flashes per minute) beacons....$60.00 each...I also have a code 3 dashlazer amber that comes with a flashback mirror for the dash inside the truck....over 500 flashers per minute. comes with magnet and cord/plug..$50.00 Let me know

6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Just beware of some of the ultra cheap units. They can have a tendancy to draw more amperage. This can cause a problem when run in conjunction with elctric hydraulic systems.

I personaly run a Whelen Guardian 2 rotor mini bar. It, like most rotary lights, leaves the bulb stationary and spins the mirror around it. I went with a rotary because I don't like strobes. I find that the strobes draw my eyes to them more than the rotaries. I would like to add some strobes or LED's to the rear though.