1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a beacon

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by grinch1989, Dec 22, 2009.

1. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

I'm not a big fan of Whelen's site as I wish they had short movies showing the flash patterns of their lights. I just need a basic beacon for my strictly driveway truck.

I am debating between the following:

2012 RapidFlash Series Strobe Beacons
    http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=1&cat_id=4&prod_id=172

2015 & 2022 Flash-4 Series Strobe Beacons
    http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=1&cat_id=5&prod_id=175

L50 Series Super-LED® Beacon
    http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=1&cat_id=5&prod_id=304

I don't want anything super bright, overkill or distracting, seeing I am replacing my Guardian because of just that. The L50 series seems nice being LED and all. I am concerned it is a class 3 so it may be too bright. The 2012 seems overkill at 120 flashes per second. Thoughts?

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a 2012, it's single flash but plenty bright without being overly so. I ended up putting it on my truck instead of a Federal Signal TurboBeam 2000. I like it and it's typical Whelen top quality.

3. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks for the reply. So basically the 2012 flashes once every .5 seconds correct?

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yes, once everey half-second, or 120 times every minute.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

you should get a rotating beacon

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

or if you concerned about you residentials seeing it and it being too bright flashing in there homes at night then get hide away strobes. and install them your self (easy if you have a 1" drill) they work great and you can be seen well

7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

go with the L52 or L53

8. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I just ordered the Whelen L360 LED beacon. Has 14 flash patterns and will do a rotating pattern. See one in action and is cool and bright.

10. SafetyLighting

So how much did you pay for that L360?

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Not sure what they cost. had a inside hook and am getting a demo from a show a friends did. I paid 120 but they are more then that.

12. SafetyLighting

Yeah, usually a few hundred. :)

13. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up cheeping out a little and went with the Whelen 2012LP. It is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. I got it from Oviedo, it was only $72.50 + $5 shipping. Not bad!

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

were in ct are you located grinch

15. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Shelton, what a year it has been here so far huh? I'm around 30" to date this season with five pushes in. :)

16. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i should have pmed you. i work for Ui full time

17. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Ha, nice. Can I give you my address so you can jump my meter out? payup:)