1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP ME!! Cant move column shifter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrfiestas, Jan 11, 2015.

1. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Its a 96 F350 reg cab plow truck that when I was plowing the ABS lite started flashing and after I put it in PARK I couldn't get it out of PARK.( its not on a hill either)
    I replaced the ABS fuse, which was blown and then I could then move the shifter.
    Whats happening and what do I do?? thx

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

turn the key forward but dont to the point of powering the truck, shift in to N, start truck

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not sure if 96 has electronic interlock or not. But if it does should be small hole under column that you can use to bypass interlock.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

check to see if the brake lights work.

Fairly confident they do, I know 93 and newer vans do.

5. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

That's sounds helpful.
    I forgot to also mention that my ABS light had been on for a couple of days but when the incident occurred the ABS light had begun flashing.
    Even thou its braking fine, whats causing this to happen and how is it causing the shifter to be affected? thx

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Interlock is operated by brake light switch on the brake pedal. I guess a bad brake switch could cause abs problems, I know it can really mess with traction control. But I would guess you have to different problems.

7. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Just saw a chart that says the 15x the RABS light is blinking mean that it has a memory failure.
    How do I get it to remember again?

8. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

This morning after sitting overnite its all back to normal. No more ABS light on/flashing.

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Check the wires going to the rear lights, sometimes the insulation wears against the metal and grounds out, causing all the symptoms you describe.

10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

i just broke my shiffter linkage because it wouldnt shift. well the wire on the break petal came off and wouldnt shift. its the saftey switch that makes you press the break to shift into gear

11. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

It will do this if your brake light fuse blows. Sometimes the interlock featurejust breaks. I worked in a Ford parts dept for a short time and recall it being a common problem on all Ford vehicles.