1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help me ! 02 f350 has issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unhcp, Jun 7, 2010.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 02 f350 5.4 4x4 regular cab truck, i bought it about 6 months ago and it has sat till now. It had some caliper problems, but we just fixed those. The truck now shakes at idle, rpms seem steady and when i am light on the throttle it has even a worse shake at speeds above 35mph. It seems to happen more when the overdrive is off, but it happens in both situations.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Is the gas old?

3. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

Are the engine mounts shot

4. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Cylinder number 5 coil is bad as a guess? Put a scan tool to it and check the misfires.

5. unhcp

i just put some gas in it, the engine mounts could be a issue haven't checked them yet. I will hook up my scan tool and see if it finds anything.

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a misfire, not uncommon for the ford modulars to lose a COP (coil over plug) after sitting and/or getting moisture around the COP/plug. Unfortunately, a scanner will often times tell you you have a misfire, but won't indicate which cylinder, or will indicate multiple different cylinders when in reality only one is the culprit. A game of musical cops until the misfire goes away is usually the cure.

7. unhcp

ok, so what exactly do i need to do? I looked at the motor and i see electrical connections near the top and then a metal bar running on top of what looks like the spark plug? do i need to take that off and check out the connection?

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Go to an auto parts store. They will hook up a scanner for free. Any decent scanner will tell what cylinder is misfiring.

9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I hope that owner didn't put anti seize on spark plug that make worst. Believe or not. Ask technical at dealer they will say anti seize can cause this. It didn't ground correct.

10. unhcp

started to work on it last night, did the first 4 and 2 had some oil or liquid in the hole, gotta do the last 4 tonight should be a blast

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Let us know what the problem was. I have a 99 - 5.4 too.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That'll cause a misfire easily. Sounds like you need a valve cover gasket or two.

13. unhcp

so what should be my next step, I was going to replace all the plugs and the plug rubber boot on the 2 with oil.

14. plowguy43

I'd buy some new gaskets and replace them. If theres oil, then its coming from somewhere- 9 out of 10 times its from the vavle cover gasket.

15. unhcp

yeah, that seems to be what people are telling me, going to work on it some more this week

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

Make sure you oil fill cap is tight, seems weird but we forgot to put it on our expidition that has a 5.4 and it ran like ****!!!!

17. unhcp

ok so i have replaced 6 of the 8 plugs and it is still doing it, so I need to replaced the 2 other plugs, but after talking to people I think i have a bad coil somewhere.

18. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

You need to pull codes and data from the PCM. This will give you the information needed to troubleshoot / repair you vehicle.

19. plowguy43

Yes you have a bad coil, or two. Easy way to find it is get the truck running, and pull individual plugs off of each coil-

Start at coil 1- remove wire- does engine change sound/wanna die? That coil is good, plug it back in.
    Coil 2 - does it wanna die? If it wants to die, the coil is good.

If you do this and on one of the coils the engine doesn't change how its currently running, You've found the bad coil. Just remember to re-plug in each coil as you check them.

But if you have oil in there, then its just going to keep doing this until you replace the gasket.

20. unhcp

finally fixed, changed all 8 plugs and also changed 1 coil and it's running great, put some fender flares on it and it looks awesome