1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help loading salt!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mullis56, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Here is the deal, I am getting 2 new International 4300's with 12' SS dump bodies and 10' Henderson Spreaders in them, I am going to be too tall to load with the skid loader as far as salt goes. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can make a ramp or a way to load these with a skidder? Thanks for any advice or help you have...and if you do this same thing please provide pictures.

Thanks!

2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well...when we used used to have to get rid of spoils when we did sewer pipe and our s300 couldnt lift high enough, we would build a little ramp and platform as tall as we needed out of gravel or dirt so we could load up the dump trucks. if you have a spot where your salt is to build a little platform for loading you are good to go

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

ramp would be cheaper but you could also look at a high tilt/lift bucket ( i think that's what they are called)

4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Build a ramp with 3/4"- and contain it with either a mafia block or landscape timbers. Also not sure what size bucket your using, but that makes a difference as well. We have a 262 cat and with the 1yd bucket we cannot dump into larger trucks. However we can with a regular 72" bucket. Also a 4in1 works great too so you can just open the bucket alleviating the low dumped height.

5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm thinking building a ramp.

Paponte - 3/4" what are you referring to as 3/4"? 72" bucket is what is on it. Anyone show me a picture of what they are talking about?

Thanks!

6. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

How high do you need to go? I would make a box out of 2 by ___ (to reach desired height), fill with concrete and rebar, add a couple bolts/hooks to attach to when you want to move it out of the way, and voila! For ramps, weld some 2 1/2" angle iron together or buy some super HD ramps.

7. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I believe he said 3/4"- (aka 3/4" minus gravel)

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new loader!! Good luck with the ramp:)

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Bingo........

10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I wish I was buying a new loader, or should I say I wish I could! LOL

11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Keep the ideas flowing in!

12. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

buy an old roll off container and cut out part of one side of it... then fill with dirt. You can get the truck right up next to the container and easily fill 12' semi trailers if built right.

13. leon

leon Senior Member

salt loading

Another option is to purchase a Walinga grain vacuum to load your truck they will load up to 92 tons of grain per hour a vacuum does not care if it is grain or not- weight is weight and physics laws regarding gasses are no different for conveying material using vacuum or low pressure high volume air referred to as as either high density transfer (dense phase conveying) or low density transfer (dilute phase) of any granular material.

The dilute phase of transfer of material is what is used with any bulk tanker delivering salt or cement.

Building or buying a "ground level hopper with a grizzly screen" to attach to the suction hose of the system would eliminate the need for a ramp and any possibility of a tip over or truck damage

Here is the link for your use.

www.walinga-inc.com

It uses a farm tractor with a 1,000 RPM pto to power it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  14. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

here is a simple picture of what i mean... sorry about bad paint skills... i looked for a photo of this online, but could not find any. But a local places does with to load the semi trailers with mulch. By using the roll off container you get within a foot or two of the truck which you probably could not if you made a ramp out of dirt.

example.jpg

15. leon

leon Senior Member

salt loading

Your painting skills are not poor at all; the problem with using a skid steer is its center of gravity, its reach or lack of reach and the "angle of attack" which is the angle the machine will encounter at the bottom when it begins to enter the slope.

Unless you have a very gradual slope being less than 5 degrees with a huge flat area at the top to enter you will have a back flipping skid steer unless you back up the ramp each and everytime.

leon:cry:

16. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

not sure on how your set-up is on your property.... but the other option would be to dig a hole for the truck to go in and line the hole with cement barriers so that you have a flat approach but the truck is down lower.... see below.

example.jpg

17. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

this option might be cheaper too... buy 8-10 cement blocks for around $250 I would imagine and a couple hours worth of digging and you got a nice set up.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Handling grain and salt are 2 completley different animals. You know how fast a sucker will last with salt, not very long plus it's slow as hell and expensive as hell. He might as well buy a new loader. Ramps are dangerous but if I needed one I'd just use mafia blocks for the height and build a ramp out of gravel.

19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

As Dave said, the mafia blocks and backfill with stone.
    Use to have a FL70 freightliner with big old V-box in the back and as well, couldn't load it with the skidloaders. I made a pit and used mafias to support the bank.

20. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

I agree, using a couple mafia blocks and using stone would be the best, we have done that in the past, works good