1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help lifted truck needs a way to drop reciever

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Whitewheelin, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Whitewheelin

Whitewheelin Junior Member

hi i have a 2003 super duty with a 6 inch lift and im lookin to put a boss v plow on it but i was told from my dealer that i need to figure out a way to locate the mount lower on my frame. i was curious if anyone has come across this problem and how did u make your truck mount mount lower so the angle is more straight then going downwards. I have thought about making a bracket to atach to the frame that the mount could attach to but i wanna see if anyone has any ideas before i try to fabricate something. thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As I see it if you want a plow rig you need to.
    1, Ditch the lift
    2. Get some narrow tires
    or
    3. Get a second truck.

Lift springs or trail rigs have a soft suspension so they can get more articulation out of the suspension.
    This soft suspension does not do well with the weight of a Vee plow.

yea it can be done but it leads to other problems.
    Now the plow has added leverage ageist the truck.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

With a drop bracket you run a BIG risk of breaking the bracket completely off the truck when you hit something hard.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What snofarmer said!!!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss/Ford super duty mounts are already a long way down there from their attachment points on the frame. Any additional length will take a great deal of reinforcing of the mount/frame components. Especially so if you need to gain 6" full inches.

It's do-able but it wont be pretty. payup

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tou will need to move the thruster arms back equally to the distance you drop the mount to maintain strength.

A B&B said do-able but not pretty (or in most cases as strong)

The best advice was Snofarmers

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  7. chevyplow1382

chevyplow1382 Junior Member

I know it's not the right way to do it, but the person I know that plows the absolute hardest I have ever seen runs it, so it can't be that horrible. All he did was take 4 pieces of angle iron and drill 10 holes in each of them (4 for the rack that slides up and down and 6 for the stationary part attached to the truck). He then ran them down all 4 corners of the setup and put 10 bolts in each side for a total of 40 bolts. He has been running that setup for about 5 years now and has never had an issue. He even bent the hinge on an RT3 V blade and no damage was done to the mount or frame of the truck. I can post pics of his setup if you would like to see them.

8. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I did #3 ;)

Not going to do #1:rolleyes:

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have old chevy solid axle 73-87 and 4" lift with 2" body and 35" tires on k30 1ton. then fisher speedcaster 8ft and 9ft blades. if i had it to do again i would run at most 33" tires and less lift and more body if needed to clear tires only.

my fisher has 3 holes to clip in to on aframe. i use the top hole for most drop. it works for the little i use the plows for but if i could go more with out major mods then i would. heck i dont see my plow till its up 3/4 of the way. so i realy use and need to trust my plow markers.

lifted truck are just that lifted. plow trucks are just that plow truck and show trucks are just that show trucks. dont try and get all in 1 with out making some sacrifice on the complete package.

10. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Im gonna have to agree with SnoFarmer lose the lift JMO