1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP. Lift ram wont drop.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by knhatfield, Jan 18, 2007.

1. knhatfield

knhatfield Junior Member

Hello everyone. I am new to plowing and new to this forum. This is the first year that I have not had someone who is way more experienced than me check out the plow. When I hooked it up to my truck today, I was not able to get the lift ram to drop down, and got the plow stuck on the truck. Any ideas? It got too cold and dark for me to continue playing with it. The first thing I am going to check tomorrow is all the connection pins and clean them. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

You,ll have to let everyone one know what kind of plow or a description of what it looks like . theres sure to be someone here that can help as long as they know what model it is .

3. knhatfield

knhatfield Junior Member

I not even sure what model western plow it is. Its about 5 or 6 years old...purchased new and installed at the dealer. Any questions that would help me figure out what model it is?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome :waving: Since you posted this in the Western forum then I'm assuming that's what it is but like Vinny said,a little more info would help.Is it a Unimount or an Ultra mount? Your on the right track with checking the grill connector's though.Let us know what you find.

5. knhatfield

knhatfield Junior Member

It is an Ultramount.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That help's a bunch, does you angle left/right function's work OK?

7. knhatfield

knhatfield Junior Member

It didn't really work too well, but I was unable to get the plow completely mounted on the truck.....I had it sitting on a pallet all summer in the back yard, and when I went to get it off today, it just slid off the pallet and I was unable to lower it to slide in in the shoe the rest of the way......from the little I did, it angeled right very little, and left nothing. You could hear the pump working, the interior lights dimmed and thats as far I as I got.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since your having problems with more than one function, clean ALL the grill connector's real good first and try it again.Let us know.

9. knhatfield

knhatfield Junior Member

After I finally had some time to go and work with the plow, that did it. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner, took a wire brush to it and it works fine now. The only problem I am still having is when the plow is down, and it attempts to lift, it hesitates a minute and then goes up at normal speed. I shouldn't say hesitates.....it just raises slowly for the first 1/2 inch or so...I'm just glad that it was an easy fix!!!

Thanks for all your help!!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That first 1/2 in of "hesitation" your hearing might just be the pump lifting the slack out of the lift chain.