1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP lift my plow and the engine stops

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by l306x, Oct 23, 2006.

1. l306x

l306x Junior Member

So i got my western cable plow out this weekend i went to lift the plow and the engine on the truck stoped. Every time i try to lift or tilt the plow the truck kills anyone ever had anything like this? the truck is a 88 GMC 1 ton tbi 350ci
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

To much drain on the charging system you need to charge the battery and check the charging system, your truck need a min. of 9.6 volts to run.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Weak battery or alternator.
  4. l306x

l306x Junior Member

can it be that the plow motor is bad and is pulling to much power ??? so the truck stops
  5. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Another Idea

Is your trucks engine idle RPM at a normal rate? I had a truck several years ago that turning the steering wheel killed the engine when the truck was stopped. This was a Cummins Diesel however a slight tweak of the engine RPM's to give it enough umph to cover the draw on the engine due to the demand of the power steering system.

Good luck.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Easy enough to tell, rev up the motor when you lift the plow and see if the motor dies.

Frankly I'd just pull both the alternator and battery and drive them down to autozone to get tested. Replace whatever is bad and you should be good to go. My guess is both are weak...the alternator's not putting out enough current and the battery isn't holding mych charge...though it might be low just because the alternator is bad. Get them both tested because you probably don't want to have to change them in the middle of a storm.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If the charging system checks out.
    I would go with a bad motor on the pump. If your kicking up the idle and the voltage drops enough to shut down the computer. Try it a few times and feel the cable to the plow pump. If it's a bit warm I bet you have a motor going bad. I seen a E 60 Meyer pump FRY the cable from the relay to the pump faster then the guy could release the switch.
    Around here we have an automoble electrical shop that rebuilds the pump motors.
    An E-60 motor is $90 with exchange vers $150 for a new one. It's just as good as new and they even paint it. You being near a big city I bet there is one that does it or could.