1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Large Bid... Due ASAP

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Mar 20, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

This is a development that whats me to place a bid, its 12 acres with 9000sq' of sidewalks. They want a seasonal bid w/ salt (no ad-dons) Its has a 1" trigger, with sidewalks being at a trace. I talked to one person who said salt very little and another one said they want bare pavement, so I think they want me to bid it at very little salt & are going to want bare pavement. We dont need to haul out any snow. We average 14 1+" snowfalls and 23 1" or less snowfalls with a total of 41" a year. Any help would be great, I need to mail it by tomarrow!! Red X is where I can pile snow.

Austin City Center 2.jpg

2. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

Im dont know how much you guys get paid up there, but here it is about a 25000 for seasonal.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

40K seasonal here in cleveland

4. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Its that with salt included? I was thinking around $28,000. I just called the company again and now there going to deduct the 1st lot sweeping from the plowers pay (WTF) Also if its under the average they want the % refund & I said well then I want a cap, they said No Way!!

This will be my first large lot. My average lot is 7 acres, but its getting to be to cut throat. As far as I know there is only two companies that bid large lots in my area. They both do very poor work (I think) at least 1-2" on ground all the time. I walked through a few of them the other day and at least 1/4" of sand all over them. They do a parking lot for which I plow the V.P.'s driveway and he always come out and complains about them, so I think this could be a great chance for me.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Just walk away

PS 28k aint enough

6. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

What do you think would be enough??

7. cretebaby

We would need to know your average events

Is it a 1'' trigger or a Zero Tolerance

Whats your cost on salt

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Could be a $25k plus salt account.(depending on the winter) I'd give them a seasonal price on plowing (with no cap, and no % back if under average), and charge salt "per ton" per ap.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, your pricing is way different then ours. You must think I was wacked with the prices I gave you. I was being honest also. Just don't want them posted on an open forum.

10. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

We avg. 14 1+" snowfalls and 23 1" or less snowfalls with a total of 41" per year.

The contract states that plowing needs to begin after 1" of snowfall and salting needs to start if theres any snow present on lot including any snowfall less than 1" of snow. As I said before well I called them up they told me there can be snow built up on parking lot as long as its not slippery, but the contract pretty much states bare pavement. I will also be putting in two bids on this property one on my own and one with me being a sub contractor. Theres a maintenance company putting a bid in on all there properties that recieve snow services.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

WALK AWAY (just like cretebaby said)

There's no possible way to make money on this, they are going to beat you to death on everything and expect top of the line service for wal Mart money.

There's ways to make money at wal mart money, but not in this instance.

WALK AWAY

One of the early lessons you should learn in business is that some customers aren't worth having.
    This is one of them.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Give them a high price. Otherwise, sounds like you will have a couple of bosses that have different ideas. Make it worth your while to get the job.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. 40 large.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Did you even read the OP? Most of that info has already been posted.

15. cretebaby

OP seems unclear wether or not it is a 1" trigger or a Zero tolerance

Makea a big diference, It does to me anyway

OP never mentioned the price of salt so I don't see how anyone can really give him a realistic idea of what to charge without knowing the contracts biggest cost

16. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Lot

I dont see the equipment listed in your profile to handle this lot and other 7 acre lots, which means you will need to either add equipment and people or subs. If you use loader with a 12 foot pusher as subs you would pay $100-&110 an hour here, so dont cut yourself short. If you are going to work for free stay home you will be happier. the other issue I consider is the exposure to liability, that to me is worth a decent paycheck, your insurance is only so good.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

More importantly have you ever plowed anything this big before, since your so quick to give pricing.

18. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Well this year we run 4 Pickups, 3 skids, 1 dump truck w/ 8611, we are looking at buying a loader right now. So I feel we have enough equipment.

19. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I wouldn't say a Zero Tolerance, the trigger is at 1" w/ salting. I can buy salt right now for $95 per ton.

20. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Since I couldn't read your private information, are you implying the numbers are cheaper by you Dave?

As for the bid, What machines will you use on this? With efficiency sometimes the numbers are lower. Not that I like it this way, but that just happens.