1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help, Keep Blowing Fuses

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Boast Enterpris, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the help in the past. My latest problem involves my 2001 F350 V10 Automatic. It Keeps blowing #19 fuse on the interior fuse panel. This fuse, per owner manual controls the dashboard instrument panel "gas guage, oil pressure, volatge, odometer, speedometer, tachometer" & The overdrive off button located on the end of the shifter. The fuse seems to blow when you move the gear shifter, it dosen't matter where you move it to, just when you move it. To make matters worse it dosen't do it ever time, couple times in a days period. Dosen't matter if the headlights are on, foot on brake, or if overdrive is on or off. I have tried everthing I know of, even unhooking the brake controller & back-up alarm. Sorry for the book here, just trying to explain. Thanks for any help,Jared.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had the same problem i have 02 f250 but my fuse was #45 you might have a wire rubing somewhere.

3. Boast Enterpris

How did you find & fix it?????????????????????//:confused:

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

it blew once and with this fuse it also controlled the alt. charging.Itook it to the dealer and that's what they told me wire rubbing or a module.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I'm think the shift module on the side of the transmission is going bad or the wires to it are damaged. A garage with a scanner could tell you in about 5 minutes.

6. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I had the same problem with my Econoline van, it was the wire in the steering column that goes into the shift lever to the O/D button, the insulation was worn through right where it entered the lever.

7. Boast Enterpris

Thanks for the suggestions!!!! Keep the coming!!

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would imagine it's the wiring leading to the switch at the end of the shifter stalk. The squads I drive switch in and out of overdrive sometimes when you shift. The shifters get used as much as a plow trucks.

9. dunkmydonut

dunkmydonut Junior Member

Fuse problems

I had a similar problem with my right directional lights. Blew about 4 fuses a day. I put in a self resetting circuit breaker in place of the fuse. No more problems.

10. Boast Enterpris

THANKS, Took the truck to the local repair guy, was the wire in the gear shifter. Repaired it with some shrink wrap, good as new!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Shifter Grounded?

Take a meter or a small lightbulb to the shift lever. Put one post on metal part of the shifter, and run a hot wire to the other bulb post. This should tell you if your shifter is grounded. If it is, then the wire has probably rubbed off the insulator and grounds out when ever the shift lever touches it. This could be why you only blow the fuse every couple of times.

12. Fordistough

from USA

Oh sorry, I didn't read your last reply. Problem fixed I guess!

-Thann

13. Fordistough

from USA

I din't know MO got much snow, are you in Northern?