1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help!! isolation module loud noise and no plow control

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by alliance10, Dec 20, 2012.

1. alliance10

alliance10 Junior Member

went to hook the plow and truck up today in prep for the storm and the 3 port isolation module is emitting a loud buzzing noise and stops when the A is unplugged, Its snowing and i need help! Please

2011 2500
    1 yr old 8.5 western mvp pro plus 2 plug

i have working lights but no plow control, controller backlights work but no power on/off @ switch
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When you pull port A it's the same as pulling the light plug off the plow at the grill. That is to say that the iso mod will think the plow is off and switch everything back to the truck & shut off the controller. It means nothing.

I would be looking at all the plugs / pins in the plugs at the grill to see that they are clean and not damaged or corroded. Then check your battery connections and the main plow cables where they connect to the battery. If this is an old style plow with the big relay under the hood then check all the connections on that relay. There are also a few plugs between harnesses under the hood that you can verify.

Not knowing what kind of plow you have it is difficult to be more specific. Is this a two plug (at the grill) or three? Straight blade or V? A bit more information would help.
  3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same problem. bought used mvp plus, 2 plug system, all new wiring and 3 port module, hooked it all up and it worked fine. disconnected the plow last week reconnected the plow 2 days ago, no power to the controller and buzzing noise coming from the module. I have checked and rechecked all connections appear to be fine. the back light to the controller is on. with the key on and my power probe tester to the number 1 terminal at the controller harness the + light flashes and the voltage jumps around
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

both vehicles are starving for ground. check all of the black/orange wires and verify they are well grounded to the BATTERY. use jumper cables on the ground side from the battery right to the negative stud on the plow motor. if it runs you have a bad cable or connection.
  5. LapeerLandscape

got it fixed, the switched power sorce in the cab was not good. it worked the first time, i think it was hooked to abs wire
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is good to know. These days with the LED ttest lights it is hard to tell a good 12V source from something like you ABS. The old test lights would have lit up up dull and yellow but the LEDs take so little power to make them light up bright. To avooid this I usually connect right to the fuse box. But good for you for figuring that out and thanks for the feedback. Now next time we hear about this buzzing from Iso-mod we have something to suggest.
  7. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I went to move my plow tonight and had the issue in this thread and thanks to you fine sir I solved my issue. Odd how it worked fine for some years now and all of a sudden. Found an unfused switched power source in the fuse block in cab!! Again THANK YOU!! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
  8. LapeerLandscape

Glad that little bit info helped you out. Sometimes that's all it takes is a quick share of the problem and the solution to make someones day.... :salute: