1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Is this the fuel pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tapscott, Dec 16, 2008.

1. tapscott

tapscott Junior Member

It was -15 here in mineapolis yesterday morning. I went out started my 00 silverado(longbed 5.3 z71) let it warm up 15 minutes and drove 4 miles. It then sputtered out and died on me when I was climbing a hill. I said, fuel filter? fuel pump? so I got it towed home, and pulled off the fuel filter. with no fuel filter, the pump sounds good. The high pitched wine sounds good, and its blows fuel all over the floor. When it tries to prime (turning the key to on) with no filter, it blows fuel all over the floor. when I put a new filter inline, it sounds good for a second and then sounds rough, like in old bike pump (clicking chugging noise). The truck starts and runs for about 3 seconds, then sputters to stall. Is this my pump or is it something between the filter and the injectors? I always thought pumps were either good or bad. I am not sure this is what the issue is. I'm a poor college kid, so fixing it right tonight means I get to drive home to Southern Illinois Friday. Can someone shed light on this?

and for the record, lets not argue on how to change a pump. Right or wrong, I do it by taking off the bed.

2. tapscott

tapscott Junior Member

can anyone help me out?

3. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

The correct way to test a fuel pump is with a pressure gauge.If you want to get technical you should also measure volume.You need to get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel test port and see if it is within manufacturers specs.Opening a line and letting fuel run out with the pump only tells u that the pump is at the very least turning on its no indicator of how much pressure or volume its moving.Also keep in mind with key on and not cranking you will only get a 3 second run time out of the pump.

4. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I know this post is a couple weeks old now, have you gotten it fixed yet?? I recently had to have a new fuel pump on my 2000 Silverado 2500, I went out and started it to warm it up, then when I went out to leave a bit later as I climbed in it just sputtered and died. I tried the filter as well, with no luck, and with the key turning on and off on I could hit the fuel test port valve and could not get any more than a dribble of fuel from it... Murphy's law said that the fuel tank had to be full when the pump died, so we pulled the bed off to change it, if the tank had been closer to empty, it probably would have been easier to change it by dropping the tank (especially since I had to also remove my fifth wheel hitch rails to pull the bed...) and of course I needed the truck back ASAP so I got stuck going with a new AC delco pump assembly from a local auto parts store that I did not have an account with, so the new pump assembly cost me aroud 600 (it's the fuel level sender, and pump, and some have the fuel tank pressure sensor as well) but if you have more time there is a guy on ebay who sells just pumps to swap into your existing pump assembly for less than 100 if I remember correctly...

Hope your truck is fixed already, if so hopefully this will help someone else someday...

Matthew

5. GA73

GA73 Member

geez i thought i got screwed when i paid $250 for a ac/delco pump ive never used.
    everyone said pump was going with the high pitch sqeal.

6. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

of course there were 2 different pumps used in my year of truck, the most common one that the auto parts store where I have an account stocks ($380 for the assembly) and then the other one that of course mine had to have that I had to get at regular price from a different shop on a saturday for about $580....

7. GA73

GA73 Member

rep the tcu one

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

if they fuel pump is whining replace it. Spend the extra at eh dealer because they will have to warrenty it. My 98 chev has had 8 or 9 fuel pumps. Dealer can't figure out why but they keep going out and after I bought the first one at a tune of 800.00 they have had to replace it everytime for free.