1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help indentify and fit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by warrior88, Jan 22, 2012.

1. warrior88

warrior88 Member

Hey guys, just wondering what kind of plow this is, is it worth the price and will it fit my 88 chevy K1500? I have a welder and fab skills so if it needs fitting I can do it but just wondering how much would be involved? Trying to get some extra money coming in with little investment as I dont have much to invest. Times are hard. Thanks!
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

thats an old fisher hydro unit....theres a pump driven off the truck crankshaft to power the plow...kinda old.
  3. warrior88

warrior88 Member

So its PTO opperated? Not really worth the time huh?
  4. dieselss

yea,,engine driven pto...so youd need to figure out a mount for your truck imo...not worth it. you could probally find a newer electric one that would pretty much bolt right onto your truck. some older unimounts would be your best bet,,,,and you could get parts anywhere, easy to work on as well.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Engine driven PTO's aren't bad, and not horrible to install, but that plow you posted looks like a Frankenplow.

Can't tell for sure, but that looks like a trip blade plow and unless Fisher used to offer one, I thought they only had trip edge plows.

6. dieselss

you are correct white,,,i didnt catch that...good eye....kinda kinda kinda looks like an old meyer? maybe
  7. warrior88

warrior88 Member

So with the advice I got from this thread I decided to not go with the older style and look for electric with hydraulic opperated pump. So how about this one? Needs work I know, paint and lights but like I said Im on a budget here. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2783265130.html

Thanks guys.
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

The first one is, as White put it, a frankenplow. Old style Fisher headgear and engine mounted pump with a who-knows-what blade. You'd have a ton of fab work into making it fit and work properly and I still wouldn't trust that blade. The second is an older Meyer conventional which may require some fab work for fitment, but shouldn't be too hard. It should have the E47 pump which parts are cheap and available just about everywhere. Be sure to check the hinge pins (where the sector attaches to the moldboard) as these seize up often, not a big deal to replace, but if you do need to replace them, do yourself a favor and add grease fittings to both the sector and plow side that way you'll only have to replace them again if they break (or you forgot to lube them for a long time). A lot of guys on here will tell you to stay away from Meyer, that they're junk and unreliable, but with proper care, use and maintenance they are a very good "budget" plow. Most parts for these are inexpensive and readily available. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search and build.