1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help in slowing drop rate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thinairflyer, Oct 16, 2005.

1. thinairflyer

thinairflyer Junior Member

I just finished getting an old Western plow (think it is an early 80's model)mounted and the Fenner pump I got with it hooked up. The Fenner pump unit is about 6 years old, but probably not 30 minutes of use on it.

It works fine, but drops faster than I would like. In an earlier post when I asked if this pump had a drop rate adjuster, I was told it did not and it was suggested I put an adjustable flow valve in the lift cylinder line. Where can I get such a valve?

I plow gravel roads with some really rough rocky sections and like to let the plow down slowly to just get it hitting the tops of the rocks as I'm moving along. With this quick drop, it will be near impossible to do this. All help appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can try a NAPA,a Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply or someone who deals in hydralics.

3. thinairflyer

Thanks Crash, I tried to PM you, but wasn't authorized.

4. thinairflyer

5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Buy a check valve and drill a small hole in it. When lifting, it should be normal. The drop rate will depend on the size of the hole you drill.

Poor man's answer :salute:

6. thinairflyer

Thanks for the help, I decided to go with the one way flow control valve. I woukd have saved about 10 bucks with the check valve, but it might take me a while to get the right size hole since I have no idea what hole to start with.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That valve is what your looking for, just make sure you get the direction of flow going the right way, but then if you do get it wrong all you have to do is turn it around.