1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP in IOWA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by raider, Jul 16, 2008.

1. raider

raider Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am looking for some input on pricing snow removal here in north central Iowa. I currently do "lawncare" for 3 housing complexes and they would like me to come talk to them about doing snow removal. I have truck and plow already, and my brother also has one so I could have a back up, we use these on our farm. I would like to price per hour or per minute but with gas prices I am not sure. I was thinking $1 per minute for pushing and blowing. I would like to do these because it could lead to more properties for my lawncare business, and make some money in the winter for me. Also, I want to find a good sand/salt unit, any ideas?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You'll really be better off if you charge "per plow" or $xx each time and increase the rate for every three inches or so. Using "per hour" for residential just leads to arguments and problems, Also, there is no incentive for becoming efficient. Using per plow method, you can get good enough to make an hourly rate your customer would balk at, yet not even hesitate if you said you'd charge - say - $40 for anything up to 6"; $60 up to 9"; $80 up to 12" and $80 plus $2 an inch over 12" Or, plow every 6" and charge - say - $40 for each time.

3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Im from north central Iowa too, where are you from? Last post has it right, we dont charge by the hour. Common here was 60-70/hr, Ive found that if you charge per push, and do it right, you can easily make 100/hr.
    Also, if you are going to charge by the hour, you may as well have an 8ft straight blade. If you are trying to be more efficient, you buy plows like Vplows, Blizzards, and the new Snoways. They are way more fun to use than a regular straight blade.:D

4. raider

raider Junior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks for the input. I will try to get sq. footage of paved areas so you can help come up with per push price. For the most part it will be easy pushing with good areas to pile, I would say each lot would take 30 to 45 min + blowing sidewalks. There will be alot of sidewalk to blow, how do you guys price that?

5. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I price sidewalks high, because I dont really want to do them. We put on a 445 JD tractor with a blower last year, and it is quick and does a good job.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I am in Clear Lake and we charge on a per-push rate. When we go back to clean up or to clear the end of a drive we don't charge a full price. Do the same for sidewalks or do what we do and sub the sidewalks out.

7. raider

raider Junior Member
    from Iowa

Ok Iowa guys, how do you price salting?

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Where are you from???