1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help im new to this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kevinwebster1, Jun 5, 2004.

1. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

so winter isnt for a while but i was wanting to figure some stuff out. right now i own a lawn care and landscaping company. that only lasts for the summer though. so why not get a snow plow company up in the winter? i was playin with some brochures and such and saw a plow that is called the C something. it like folds down so you can back up and pull snow away from stuff. i was thinking that that would be good for doin driveways and stuff. it would be an easy way to make a few bucks and only take a few minutes. also, how do you go about getting commercial property? what should i start out with in my first year of snow plowing business.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The plow you looked at is a Hiniker plow. Before you jump into plowing snow, spend some time in research. The equipment is expensive and additional insurance will add substantially to your present to your present policy. This isn't an "easy way to make a few bucks". I'd really suggest you get some experience with driveways before going after commercial. You likely won't make any profit the first year. Lets say Olathe gets enough snow to plow five times a year. The "average" driveway gets you $30 per trip. That $150 per year per driveway. Just to pay for a $4500 plow, you need 30 driveways. And that's not counting gas, wear and tear, repairs, insurance, salary (for yourself) or coffee.

In general, you need to learn to size up any property as to where you're going to push the snow, how to mark hazards and recognize potential trouble spots. The wear and tear on your current truck will be substantial, especially if that extended cab is a 1500. They may not put certain brands of plow on it, due to the weight factors (you might be able to check this on the Hiniker web site).

For the first year, you will want to get a plow (of course) and arrange for back up (another truck and someone who will cover for you). Unlike lawn care/landscaping, you are not able to schedule your work. You go when it snows. You're out there in the worst possible conditions. If you can't get to it, you can't put it off for another day. Most people will need plowed by a certain time to go to work or open the business. You will need insurance stating what type of plowing (residential, retail etc). You will need appropriate clothing for emergencies. Repair kit for your equipment. I've found a cell phone invaluable.

If you decide to go ahead, Good Luck. Spend the summer learning as much as possible.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  3. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

when i said an "easy way to make a few bucks" i meant it with all do respect. i know you guys drive out in the worst conditions and work long night shifts so people like me can go to walmart. and you are right, those are all things ill need to consider before pretty much plunging into the snowplowing world. parhaps i should stasrt off with a regular used plow for the first year or two.
    thanks

4. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

The hiniker c plow would be great for drive ways wouldnt be bad for comercial apps either if you shop around for used ecquipment you can find alot of good deals. what ever plow you buy make shure its not to heavy for the front end on your truck..

Most bids go in August so no would be a good time to figure out what comercial properties you want to go for.

keep in mind alot of comercial properties recquire salting

Talk to your lawncare customers let them no your expanding your services.

good luck

5. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

thanks a lot thundercat. and yea ive mowed for over 50 people so i think i could find some people that would want that. do you think i need insurance just to do driveways?

does anyone know of any good used snow plow equipment websites?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, you should have insurance but at your age, I doubt any underwriter would issue it.

For a website, each major manufacturer has a good one. Just do a search on "Hiniker snowplow", "Fisher snowplow", "Boss snowplow" etc.

7. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

alright ive give that a try

8. North Country

North Country Senior Member

You definitely need insurance, you could find yourself in a world of hurt the first storm. One uninsured claim could cause you to go out of business. Commercial is a whole different world, they generally require a much higher policy, auto insurance and commercial auto, workers comp if you have any employees.

Also a well written contract can keep you out of hot water when slip and fall litigation rears it's ugly head.

I would do some searches here at plowsite about the subject much has been written. With your main business being landscaping adding supplemental insurance for plowing might be easier. I agree it could be tough to get snow insurance only, many companies won't right snow at all anymore.

I just saw my first C-Plow at the symposium trade show, it was quite impressive though it doesn't fit our business. It seems it would be perfect for residential drives. - michael