1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help identifying Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tunedude10, Nov 29, 2009.

1. tunedude10

tunedude10 Junior Member

Hi, new to this forum. I just bought an older western plow and need some parts. I am having trouble identifying which plow I have as all #'s are long gone. It looks to me like a standard quadrant, not a pro plow? Blade is 8'.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Questions:
    1. Do 'heavy duty' skids fit the same blades as 'standard' skids?
    2. It appears as if I am missing a pivot pin in the center of the blade?
    3. Can 'standard quadrants' have 3 springs like this? The Western website is unclear.

Any help here would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thinking its a pre 80 pro. 3 springs is kind of giving it away. Quad should be a 60036 (conventional standard short and medium) or 60328 (conventional pro short or medium) , a frame is either a 60202 (conventional standard short, conventional pro short), 60324 (conventional pro medium) or 60030 (conventional standard medium). Looks like most of those part numbers are still available. Try searching around westerns site under publications library for parts breakdowns and pics, might take a few to find them if they are in there.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

how many vertical ribs does that plow have? 5 or 7? without a full shot i can't tell.

here's a pic of my old 8 foot western blade. probably even older than yours. it started life with a long A frame and only 2 trip springs. what vintage do you think this blade is Crash?

i modified a quadrant and A frame from a late 80's pro plow to fit it. i then added a trip spring up the center, the shock absorber, and the 2 outboard springs.

westplow1.jpg

4. Crash935

Linck, about the same era, just looks like you have the long a frame.

looks like the other blade has 5 ribs by the location of the shoe bracket.

5. wicked85

wicked85 Member
    from Indiana

Crash, since we are looking at this old plow like I have, are the pins that hold the angle cylinders on supposed to be loose or snug? Mine have quite a bit of slop, and I dont know if that is right.

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

tunedude10

If I am not mistaken looks like the "quadrant" does not fit the blade properly. The "two" outer are being pin on the inside of the rib, were the should be pin in-between the rib (one leg outside, and one leg inside)?

The quadrant was meant for only "two springs", not three springs???

Might be a "7" rib??

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Crash935

Think its pinned on right, stops on the board are up agianst the stops on the quad. Think its the inner pin lug that makes it look wrong.

As for the pins for the cylinder, depends on which way the slop is. Pins shouldnt be floating around in the holes on the quad or cylinder. If theres no presssure on the pins you should be able to slid them up or down, they arent a press in fit. so a little play is okay but if the holes are egged out you will want to look at doing something to close them back up.

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

crash

If you look at the first picture, u can see the quadrant really doesn't look right. It doesn't look like it meant for the plow itself?? The tabs are being "crush"

9. Crash935

The 2nd pic gives the illusion that the tab closest to you is crushed in but thats the stop you see.

going to try and dig out some old info from westerns site when i have a chance.

10. tunedude10

tunedude10 Junior Member

Oh you guys so rule, to help a rookie out this way. If any need advice on pontoons or bands, I will be glad to oblige hehe.

The blade has 5 ribs and I lied: it is only 7 1/2 foot wide. I took a close look at the quadrant mount tabs and they are correct and the pic just makes them look wrong. I still think there should be a third pivot pin in the center tho.

My best guess from what I have read here and elsewhen:
    Blade and quadrant are old school pro-plow.
    Short A frame?
    Mount fit my F150 perfectly!

I think I have all my problems sorted at the moment. Waiting for a new controller and cables. Old one was crap. All hydraulics tested OK. This is only a backup for the bobcat that I just blew up:cry:

Cheers,
    Todd

11. wicked85

wicked85 Member
    from Indiana

Crash, the pins are real sloppy, I think I am going to have to drill them out and go with bigger pins. Thanks for all the great info