1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Identifying Pump Please!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jeeper727, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Jeeper727

Jeeper727 Junior Member

Hey, new member to the forums looking for some help.
    I have a 78 Jeep CJ5 With a Plow installed from AMC/Jeep (in 1978). Anyways long story short, the pump didnt work yesterday, (Would hum lightly but wouldnt whine like it normally does)... Then after manually moving the plow around it decided to work. Anyways it stopped working again this morning.

The plow itself is a Meyer ST-78.
    Cant identify the pump or the problem. I can hear the motor spinning/turning but the pump doesnt seem to .... well... do anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

Really looking for info on the pump itself.... Im very handy and would like to rebuild it if possible.
    Heres some pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Wow, cool old pump.
    Though I can't actually identify it, it appears to have the same *motor* as a meyer T5/T6 pump, although it is clearly NOT a T5/T6, which have an integrated up/down cylinder.

I'd say go over the normal things, make sure that it has fluid, which is clean, add a bit of gas line antifreeze maybe. If the motor itself isn't turning, it may help to take it apart and clean it.

Your description of "hum lightly" is a bit strange, does it hum like it is turning, but no load? Or does it hum like its under *so much* load that it can't turn?

3. Jeeper727

Jeeper727 Junior Member

More like turning but not understand load.ill try the gas line antifreeze.thanks.

4. jasonv

from kannada

"not understand load"? I can't help you if you can't communicate in english.

5. Jeeper727

Jeeper727 Junior Member

Sorry about that. Phone auto corrected. Was supposed to be not under a load.

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

from the looks of it , looks to be a e60 older style one thing you can try to scrape some of the paint off the motor part and see if the sticker is there

7. jasonv

from kannada

Oh, lol. Yeah, phones can be fun sometimes.

My guess then, would be that it has an inlet screen on the pump that may be plugged with ice. Hopefully, it isn't stuck valves, though ice can stick up valves too.

8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

the other thing is those Meyers pumps tend to freeze up you can try taking a mini torch and heating it up but don't leave it on there to long it will melt the aluminum or put it in a heated garage .

9. jasonv

from kannada

I'm not sure how that could be possible... I've never heard of an e60 without an integrated lift cylinder. If such a thing did exist, I'd love to see more pictures of them.

Are you sure that it actually *is* a meyer pump?

10. jasonv

from kannada

11. Jeeper727

Jeeper727 Junior Member

It warmed up a lot today. Ill check on if its frozen after work. Either way it leaks pretty bad and I'd definitely like to rebuild it. Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Ill be sure to put up some more pictures for you.

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I use to work for a guy that ran these...they do tend to freeze up. His solution was to run longer hoses and mount them in the engine compartment. Then the engine heat kept them warm. There was a lot more room back then in trucks to do that...

13. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

I have an old Fenner pump reservoir unit that looks identical to that. It doesn't have an integrated valve set, just power up and down.

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. That looks like a fenner spx stone unit. Easy to work on. If you take the resivour off a service it take a pic of the pump itself.

15. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Looks just like my dump trailer pump and reservoir.